• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird find in 06 4.0L head

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i'm installing a banks header on a 06 TJ with not even 5,000 miles on it. when i just pulled the intake manifold, i noticed that every intake port in the head has a greenish liquid tint to it, and has some brown almost glue like residual.

I've never seen that before. I know the newer (00+) 4.0L had a TSB with a coolant leak due to a bad head casting, but i don't think this is what i'm looking at. plus the actuall coolant is orange dex cool. so what could this green stuff be???

Did you drive it thru a GREEN swap?:D

I don't know....that's all I got.

scorpio_vette said:
i'm installing a banks header on a 06 TJ with not even 5,000 miles on it. when i just pulled the intake manifold, i noticed that every intake port in the head has a greenish liquid tint to it, and has some brown almost glue like residual.

I've never seen that before. I know the newer (00+) 4.0L had a TSB with a coolant leak due to a bad head casting, but i don't think this is what i'm looking at. plus the actuall coolant is orange dex cool. so what could this green stuff be???

my first thought was coolant, but your using dex cool? man I made the mistake of that and 6 months later had the tstat blow and flushing the radiator in the middle of a winter (blizzard week in colorado) NOT FUN!

Condensed Green house gasses! :laugh3:

I'm gunna guess oxidized copper. Was there copper coating on the gasket? Sometimes it's used to aid in heat transfer as well as sealing. When copper oxidizes (rusts), it goes green. Maybe some yayhoo at the factory got a little carried away with the stuff.

Steve

jdogg4 said:
my first thought was coolant, but your using dex cool? man I made the mistake of that and 6 months later had the tstat blow and flushing the radiator in the middle of a winter (blizzard week in colorado) NOT FUN!

sorry not dexcool. it's that pink/orangish stuff that mopar uses in the new jeeps.

so far the best answer i got from a couple people including jeep is that it's most likely just a combination of assembly lube and some type of anti-rust coating they put on at the factory when it goes out. and this guy hasn't driven his jeep long enough or hard enough to burn/wash it all out yet.

Back