• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil cooler as a auxilary radiator , connected to the....

POSXJGuy

NAXJA Forum User
question, can you use a oil cooler as a auxilary radiator , connected to the plumbing that leads into the water pump housing?

a friend of mine wants to add a little capacity to his cooling system by mounting his spare oil cooler to the front of his radiator, then plumb it into the line that runs to the water pump.

is this a good idea and can an oil cooler work safely as an auxiliary radiator?

thanks!

john

in my opinion it should work. as long as there are no leaks. but the only problem is if you just put it there it won't have any pressure to push it through the cooler. you need the circulation. i can't see how it would cause a problem otherwise. but be carefull not to damage the system.

excellent point. i will tell him and i'll let you know how the install goes. i am thinking he will end up plumbing it some other way. i'll take photos if i can. we may work on his pile tonight.

thanks!

john

Gnat5680 said:
just remember i am not responsible for anything that comes out of my mouth.

hope it goes well!

awww! comeon man! don't you wnat the credit if this turns out to be huge and wonderful? jeese,, now who can i thank?:laugh3::laugh3:

I read this in another post here recently when I was converting to the open cooling system to get rid of the plastic pressure tank, but someone said their mechanic friend told them to buy another heater core from a wreckage yard and mount it behind the headlight or front bumper as its designed to have coolant flow thru it and if you mount in in another location rather than in front of the radiator you won't be preheating the air before it reaches the radiator and it should help cool better even if it doesn't have as much air flow.
I may try it if my new rad. doesn't help my overheating problems.

Are you suggesting running your 1.25" water lines through the 1/2" tranny cooler ?

kid4lyf said:
Are you suggesting running your 1.25" water lines through the 1/2" tranny cooler ?

nope, just wondering if plumbing it in line with the smaller water pump pipe would be effective. We still have not taken a stab at it yet. been too lazy the last few days. i think that i would pass on the idea myuself but we'll see if my friend wants to try it. i think its overkill and not necessary especially if that thinner hose does not provide good flowing pressure for coolant travel.

if we do it i will let you folks know how effective it turns out.

john

I put together an MJ last year and used a heater core as an auxilliary radiator. I didn't run any cooler than a stock setup would have...BUT it never got too hot no matter how hard it was pushed. With that said..was it better than a stock systme..who knows.

I'd say go for it BUT if I did it again I'd run it with an electric fan (mounted on the heater core)...that would probably make a difference.

Back