• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How would I fix this?

Lonestar

NAXJA Forum User
I found a wonderful addition to the jeep the other day.
IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

If it were anywhere but the leaf spring hanger I wouldn't worry about it. But with the twisting forces appied to the area when on the rocks, I don't think it will last very long. I have some fab tools that includes a welder (although I suck at welding sheet metal), so I think I can fix it. I just want some advice so I don't make things worst.

Thanks
Bryan

what id do is put a bolt that fills the hole as much as possible, weld said bolt in place with a bunch of spot welds. then grind it flat and if it looks like it could benifit from it weld in a patch panel as best you can over it to help re-enforce the are. I do more structural welding on big machines like cranes and buldozers so I mighgt not have the best idea for something like that

Gerr said:
what id do is put a bolt that fills the hole as much as possible, weld said bolt in place with a bunch of spot welds. then grind it flat and if it looks like it could benifit from it weld in a patch panel as best you can over it to help re-enforce the are. I do more structural welding on big machines like cranes and buldozers so I mighgt not have the best idea for something like that

All due respect, cuz I ain't the brightest, but not sure if that will work. Looks like the metal all around it is rusted. Might have to drop the leaf and rework the whole area, cutting out anything that is rusted...

X2 Yo

Not that exact area, but go buy some 10ga or 12 ga, and a drill, a grinder, some cutoff wheels, and go to town with your welder...

stp81880dl3.jpg

drill holes for plug welds - 1/4" to 3/8" worked out great for me...

make sure you are welding to bare metal and not to zinc coated and not to undercoated or rusted metal...

XJ_ranger said:
Not that exact area, but go buy some 10ga or 12 ga, and a drill, a grinder, some cutoff wheels, and go to town with your welder...

stp81880dl3.jpg

drill holes for plug welds - 1/4" to 3/8" worked out great for me...

make sure you are welding to bare metal and not to zinc coated and not to undercoated or rusted metal...

Will it be ready for tomorrow?

Back