• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Series 2 Buyer's Guide?

inline6

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy a 1997-2001 XJ, probably the Sport model with auto trans - wondering what to look for in one with about 75K miles - what tends to need replacing up to this point (timing belt/chain, radiator, electric window motors, etc...)
Weak points or upgrades that are recommended? I tend to like to keep my cars stock unless it's a reliability or safety upgrade.

Cheers,
Ryan

thanks. what was different about the 2000's head than the 1999? How did they correct it in the 2001 model?

i'm still hoping someone could tell me more weak points in the car's design.

cheers
ryan

damn...i just found the thread talking about the 0331 head - it's kinda scaring me away from getting one, unless it's been replaced with the earlier head. maybe i should look for a '97-'98 model instead?
and what's with the electronic distributor rail? never heard of it.

rokclimbertx said:
something else i just thought about... the '01 has the electronic distributor rail (or whatever it's called) and i think that goes back to '99... while the 97/98 has a regular distributor... someone please correct me if i'm wrong...

COP, or coil over plug.

Back