• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airbag

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
got a 95 xj that i wheel hardcore in most of the time. just a simple qustion...

should i diconnect the airbag in the steering wheel or should i not worry about it??

wheel in mud and in the dunes no rock climbing..

thanks

also how do i disable it or take it out if i am to do so?

Your airbag is designed not to deploy if you are in 4 lo and under 25 MPH.

In the dunes, you may want to install a kill switch. All you have to do is find the wires that activate it and install a switch. Be careful though, you can set it off by fiddling with those wires. I can say though, I play in the dunes and really get wild out there and have never had an airbag deploy on me.

Don't worry

I have a 95 and wheel hard too, I do alot of dropoffs, some hops and jumps

Its fine.

If you have the crappy D35 rear like me pull the ABS relay so you can brake when needed. Had a bad experence once with the ABS brakes in the slippery mud.

KarlVP said:
Your airbag is designed not to deploy if you are in 4 lo and under 25 MPH.

In the dunes, you may want to install a kill switch. All you have to do is find the wires that activate it and install a switch. Be careful though, you can set it off by fiddling with those wires. I can say though, I play in the dunes and really get wild out there and have never had an airbag deploy on me.

You must be crazy jacking around with those wires. :gee:

If you sand wheel like you said, I would pull the Fuses and Relays for the air bags.

... my 95 was not electronic. there is an adjustment screw that you can access thru the back of the steering wheel, it sets tension on a spring. i went off a dune hard and pegged the front end, no damage but it popped the airbag. mine has no airbag sensor the bag is fired by the steering wheel being jarred hard enough to trigger the spring, and it fires a little powder charge that blows the bag. BE CAREFUL you have to have an airbag certification (in CA anyway) just to service the steering column, because so many people are hurt every year messing with them. if you are going to mess with the wiring know what you are doing before hand and wear a grounding bracelet before touching anything, as they can be set off by static shocks from your hand.

i wouldnt mess with it, wait for it to pop and then throw a grant 13" GT steering wheel on there and dont tell your ins company :D

do u seem my avatar ... its not fine ... lol

i dont wheel that hard ...

just pull the fuse ... and if u do pop it its mad easy to fix

but im with Grimm ... get a Grant ...

Get a grant. Or, if you don't want to look like a goof, (I have a Grant and I hate it. the horn button keeps popping off.) Perhaps a non-airbag steering wheel from the earlier models would fit? I don't trust the bags in these things anyway. My dad got T-Boned in his (Mine now) 2000 at speed above 25 mph and it didn't deploy. Everyone who saw it and/or responded was kind of shocked about that...

I'm glad mine has no airbag, I'm sure one of my two damaging endo's would have done it for sure, (don't ask), Just diable the circuit. I know a lot of autocrossers that pull the airbag and abs fuses before play

^That's what I was wondering, that would just have compounded any injuries.

Physics, and all...

mine went off just fine at 35 when I T-boned the idiot who decided I was a daytime halleucination and pulled out in front of me.

Heh, allow me to rephrase. The airbag didn't go off when HE T-boned the other guy. Aome guy was in the wrong lane, heading the wrong way and decided to pull a U-turn. In traffic. *BAM* So, our vehicle struck head on.

I'm not sure why I said that we got T-boned. Not enough coffee, or too much? Hmm. I need a coffee now.

Back