• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud pop when wheels locked left

00Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 with 3" lift and get a loud pop sometimes when the wheel is almost at full lock left. I does not happen offten but when it does I can feel it under my feet. I thought is may be linked to a bad track bar but it has done it 3 times since I installed a new JKS unit. All other parts are tight and seem to be in good shape. A friend said he had the same noise in 2 other XJ and never found where the noise came from. Any info would be great.

this could be a multitude of things, but I would start with checking the UCA's and LCA's and the TE's as well. I would not think that the track bar would be the culprit here, but check and retighten the bolts on it as well as the others.

what popping is normal?!?!?! At least it is on my jeep :D

But on a serious note, check bolts, expesially the track bar. Have someone move the steering wheel while you watch underneith. Make sure everything is properly greased. And if everything is tight and looks ok, it might just be normal depending on tire size and what aftermarket parts on are the jeep.

Other than concentration on track bar, look at the mount that bolts to the frame rail. Like said, have someone 'play' with the wheel while you get down and watch. I've learned holding your hand on parts you can 'feel' where the problem is coming from if you cannot pinpoint a sound... HTH

Ya I've been having some strange popping noise when I turn my wheel. I've had it for about 2 years now, don't know exactly what it is, seems like it is coming from the steering box. I haven't bothered to fix it yet.

u-joint or the trackbar mount as stated above The frame side of mine was completely tight but the whole mount woulf flex when pressure was put in it I pulled up tight to a curb and turned the wheel back and forth to recreate the sound I was hearing

krelja said:
u-joint or the trackbar mount as stated above The frame side of mine was completely tight but the whole mount woulf flex when pressure was put in it I pulled up tight to a curb and turned the wheel back and forth to recreate the sound I was hearing

This was my thoughts, yesterday I looked as a buddy turned the wheel and it had a little flex. Could not really tighten the bolts though. Any fixes?

on my brothers 97 he had the same thing. After replacing u-joints and going through all the trac bar stuff a stethiscope finally narrowed it down to the dust shield on the brakes!!! Sounded odd to me, but sure enough you might want to try that???

00Classic said:
This was my thoughts, yesterday I looked as a buddy turned the wheel and it had a little flex. Could not really tighten the bolts though. Any fixes?
what size wrench. Where do you think the sound came

RyanM said:
what size wrench. Where do you think the sound came

I used a socket with a Craftsman breaker bar. I was origanal thinking track bar frame mount. Also considered chassis near steering box and possible a control are bushing. Control arms look OK and could not see any damage near sterring box. Its weird that I feel it in the drivers floorboard when it does it. It has only done it three time in the last 600 miles. If it happen more frequently maybe I could pinpoint it.

never to the right? My t/c chain used to skip when cranked and givin gas, same thing,I could feel it through the floorboard

My loud pop has always been associated with the track bar mount working loose.You may need to weld it to the rail.

:peace:

I had my girlfriend turn the wheel lock to lock while I put my hand on the track bar, tie rod and the other parts and felt for the pop, just be careful you don't get your hands stuck in there. thats the only way I could track it down. it seems to be common and is a pain in the ass to fix.

98XJROKS said:
My loud pop has always been associated with the track bar mount working loose.You may need to weld it to the rail.

:peace:

X2 on the above. I had the exact problem until I did the same. Really cranking down on all the trac bar bracket hardware still didn’t get rid of all the pops but make it better. Once I burned a little metal together NO MORE POPS!!

Back