• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a used 98 with 126,000....

I'm thinking you need to be more specific in your question or provide a lot more info.

If it's from NJ, I'd just check for rust. My '99 with 94k runs as good as my '01 with 12k did. I also think it's worth the $20 (or whatever it is now) to run a carfax report on it.

just a thought - in my experience when a vehicle is 8-10 years old, a number of parts begin to wear out - probably engineered that way.

i have a 96 - i would ask the owner what has been done in the past 2 years. i would get under it and look at the floor pan - mine has almost completely rusted away in MA. also - how about the "frame rails" - are they rusty?

check those rear shocks (inexpensive, but a PITA job)...ask the owner how often he changed the oil and if he has a record of it - i bought mine b/c the owner had mobil 1 receipts and a record of changed every 3K since new!

drive that baby at 75mph - see if it vibrates; put on the a/c. d

check all the radiator hoses for bulges.

get down by the tank and smell for gas.

whats the condition of the exhaust?

you prob. knew all this - but your post doesn't say much.

oh yeah - grab the front and rear axle shafts and try to shake them...is there any play?

I've never actually bought a car.....just inherited them....so thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Saudade, you can spare the sarcasm. I don't want to give too much info....just in case someone else is looking for an XJ with the same specs. They could easily check where I did. Just go with the info. you got...

It wasn't sarcasm. You didn't say what you wanted to use it for. You didn't say really anything about what you were looking for. Even baselaw said "but your post doesn't say much."

If you don't want to divulge "too much info", then just go with the answers you get.

JeepDawg said:
I've never actually bought a car.....just inherited them....so thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.

Saudade, you can spare the sarcasm. I don't want to give too much info....just in case someone else is looking for an XJ with the same specs. They could easily check where I did. Just go with the info. you got...

slow you're roll, man... people are just trying to help no need to get bent at anyone, no disrespect was intended...

btw... it's like asking what kind of hammer you need to buy to get some work done.... doesn't say much about what you "need" it for, does it???

that's all that was implied...:dunno:

Check for rust, put the Jeep into 4 high, 4 low, etc if it does have 4x4. Drive around and listen for weird sounds. Check the oil and tranny fluid. Tranny fluid should be a nice red, being black if it's an automatic is not good. Check to make sure the a/c works and blows cold air. Just go through the vehicle, ask a lot of questions. Running a carfax is well worth it and pays for itself (carfax.com). It will cost $29 to run unlimited carfax reports for a month or $20-25 to run 1. Look on (kbb.com) Kelly Blue Book and enter what the Jeep has if you know, etc to see the range of it's worth from fair, good, to excellent.
Try to get a 242 Select Trac if possible for a good dd and the full time 4 high mode, the 231 Command Trac doesn't only had Part time 4 high and isn't intended for long pavement operation.

Good luck. ;)

Check for rust, put the Jeep into 4 high, 4 low, etc if it does have 4x4. Drive around and listen for weird sounds. Check the oil and tranny fluid. Tranny fluid should be a nice red, being black if it's an automatic is not good. Check to make sure the a/c works and blows cold air. Just go through the vehicle, ask a lot of questions. Running a carfax on the vin# is well worth it and pays for itself (carfax.com). It will cost $29 to run unlimited carfax reports for a month or $20-25 to run 1. Look on (kbb.com) Kelly Blue Book and enter what the Jeep has if you know, etc to see the range of it's worth from fair, good, to excellent.
Try to get a 242 Select Trac if possible for a good dd and the full time 4 high mode, the 231 Command Trac doesn't only had Part time 4 high and isn't intended for long pavement operation.

Good luck. ;)

Back