• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cb question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
a buddy gave me his cb so i mounted it hooked it up and ran the wires and everything. well i was testing it with another friend...he could hear me talking but when he went to talk i couldnt hear anything. the lights would light up indicating someone was talking, but i couldnt hear anything. volume was up etc. is the CB ruined or is it something more simple??
what do you guys think?
thanks.

I'm assuming you're letting go of the "transmit" button? The speaker wires could be detached, or the speaker could be broken.

89heepxj said:
turn the squelch off... or get an external speaker

x2

Let us know the brand name and model number of your CB.
GOOGLE for an owners manual for your brand and model. A similar model should operate in the almost the same way.

Make sure your Squelch is turned down, your RF Gain and Volume are turned up, and the PA/CB switch is set to CB. You might also have another switch to select internal or external speaker.

You might have a broken wire inside the microphone cable that would cause you to have no sound in the speaker.

Also, check the external speaker plug from the inside. Sometimes you can see the tabs that make contact to the plug, and see if there is contact to the internal cancel tab when there is no external speaker plug plugged into it. If that cb was used with an external speaker all the time before being givin to you, the plug jack may be worn where that tab no longer makes contact to connect the internal speaker. Like others said before me, try an exernal, it may work. Good luck!

will wiring it to an insufficient ground have anything to do with it?? not sure if the ground i used would be the best place.

im not too good with electrical stuff.

the cb is cheap midland 1000 or 1001 or something like that.

That is possible. You also want to make sure you match the antenna so you minumize SWR (signal wave return) so you have maximum efficiency and not burn out the finals in the cb, by adjusting slightly at a time the length of the antenna if possible. I'm better at just doing the fix than explaning it, it helps to be there and assess the problem. If you take pics of your cb face and ground points, and the antenna, I'll be able to help out better. Even the inside of the cb if possible, especially where the external jack is and also inner speaker itself too.

Last edited:
Back