• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling

troy6187

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched for weeks and still dont have a definitive answer. i put a sbc in my xj and cut the rear and moved the radiator to the "bed". i'm not sure what size hard lines to run to the radiator. is 1 1/4 enough or should i go bigger? the rad openings are 1 1/2". i dont have much room underneath my heap for large lines. have a large 3 core brass rad and 2 taurus fans with a custom shroud.
anyone with a rear rad post up and let me know what size tube your using.:greensmok

Wow, Id try to do some research on line loss. Working in the water feild I can say it might have an impact on size due to fittings,and length of runs etc. I wouldent go any smaller than the rad fittings @1.5" and try to keep the 90`s etc at a minimum. Wonder what a high flow pump would add the the efficency?

this site is really starting to go downhill. not that long ago this question would have netted me some decent answers... now i get answers that have nothing to do with the question by people that can't comprehend what they have just read. nowhere did i say the rad or lines were anywhere near the passengers but that was addressed instead of my question about what size line was ok... lets try again.
to all with a rear mounted radiator, what size hard line did you use to get the coolant to the rad? to all others...stop wasting my time

Ohh a little testy today are we? what makes you so sure anyone here has put a radiator in back of their XJ? Maybe a class in flow dynamics, and pump curves would help if you dont like the answers here. BYW I would have searched for weeks prior to taking on a mod I couldent finish due to shortage of answers. Go to Jeep forum where tha real experts are, sure you can learn all about putting spinners on your JK over there. AH

Last edited:
i never asked about a rad in the back of an xj...i asked about anyone with a rear mount rad. the stock pump is more than enough all i wanted to know was what size line people were running. flow dynamics and pump curves have nothing to do with my original question. i searched and did not find many opinions on line size here or at pbb. wanted to know what everyone else used so maybe i could avoid any problems. again i get a reply from someone that did not comprehend what they were reading.
BYW I would have searched for weeks prior to taking on a mod I couldent finish due to shortage of answers.
now i think i understand why so many have left here for pbb and not looked back.

troy6187 said:
i never asked about a rad in the back of an xj...i asked about anyone with a rear mount rad. the stock pump is more than enough all i wanted to know was what size line people were running. flow dynamics and pump curves have nothing to do with my original question. i searched and did not find many opinions on line size here or at pbb. wanted to know what everyone else used so maybe i could avoid any problems. again i get a reply from someone that did not comprehend what they were reading.now i think i understand why so many have left here for pbb and not looked back.
You haven't seen anything yet. Hang out here for at least a year then you'll really see how lame it can get. Every other thread is "hay guys i liek jeeps do you know what kinda lift i can fit do i need to regear my axels or tranny or maybe my speedo whatmidoinimsolost."

FFS SEARCH

Lame.

yea some of the stupid questions people ask as you think to yourself why they even buy a jeep if they dont even try to learn some stuff about it. Some of the stupid questions are easy stuff that most people could learn by asking on google like changing motor oil or brakes. But to the OP I would not go smaller in the lines even you think the Water pump is powerfull going too small will just reducing the cooling of the system. Most times just trial and error..but to me I would not go that route because one error could lead burned up motor.

You would think smallers lines mean that the pump could push further..I dont know the spects of the water pump!! nor the working pressure. I would not put too much pressure on the pump to pump so far it might fail. But it has been done by desert racers. By the looks of the pictures it normal size hoses they run But I dont know if they are using a electric water pump or the factory mechanical pump. Or I might be blowing in the wind. :D

thanks man... atleast someone has something to offer. the pump is enough for the system was just curious if smaller line might work becuase of increased capacity. i agree about the stupid questions...it seems to be alot worse the last few months.been here about 2 years and always useful info and helpful guys. not so much anymore.
thanks

with the updated posting rules we are starting to see questions and threads started in mod tech that really should be in AdFab. i think that is the root of this particular poster's whininess. rear mounting a radiator and running hard lines crosses the line into Adfab.

i'm gonna stop my whininess and just get a membership soon. which i am pretty sure is the point. if this forum sucked it wouldn't have been a very good tactic. but it doesn't and so it is.

troy6187 said:
just curious if smaller line might work becuase of increased capacity.

Of course not. Could you breath deeper through a drinking straw?

The smaller line will increase resistance to flow. It could (in theory) increase the velocity of the flow in your line, but certainly not the volume.

If the stock lines are 1.5" to travel 12" to the radiator, you' need to go much bigger to run the eight or ten feet to your bed, with the same resistance.

The better idea is the second booster pump.

Robert

1) quit getting your panties in a bunch. the reason i mentioned to be carefull, is cuz there are to many kids on here that saw a friend of a friend who's sisters friends dadies brother did something, and they want to do it. since you said "rear mounted", i wouldn't be surprised if you would have been one of those people.

2) if you spend any amount of time on here, you'd probably realize that there aren't that many if any people here with rear mounted rads. at least i haven't seen it mentioned here before. possibly in adfab, but not in general mod.

3) instead of whining about how other people should stop asking questions all together and learn how to search, why don't you take your own advice. i'm sure you can find info on rear mounted rads on google. even if it's not specifically for an XJ, i'm sure it would address the same issues.

4) stop getting your panties in a bunch being a whinney baby, and learn how to search.

then again, i have no clue what i'm talking about. i'm half asleep. just curious........why are you moving your rad to the rear??? what's wrong with the front???

hmm besides the wierd look i bet it cools very well with the rad on top.. or fit a bigger one that you cant fit inside the vehicle.:D

Back