• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case shift problem?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm a Newbie. Lets get that out of the way...
Now, the question:
Shifting into 4wd, 4lo especially, the shifter sticks and doesn't want to fully engage. I have to leave it in neutral, roll the jeep around a little or put it back in 2wd and move it a bit sometimes before I can get it to stay in 4wd (sometimes I THINK its in, I hit drive and it rather noisily pops Tcase into neutral). Is this all regular Jeep stuff or is something going on / whats up with this?

-Tom

What year, tranny, T-case.

My owners manual says 4hi is shift on the fly, but 4lo says to put the tranny in N, shift to 4lo, then put the tranny back into gear.

Popping out of gear is a sign your tcase is shot. Have you checked the fluid level lately?

Before you conclude that, you should check the shift linkage. It might help to lubricate it, mine was a bear to get into 4wd, I greased the linkage with napa open gear lube and now it shifts like a dream.

bl87xj is right, you can shift into 4hi at any speed (but not during wheel slippage, trust me on that!). 4lo you must stop and put the tranny in neutral first (well sometimes you can get away with just stopping but it may not go in so easy then).

thats normal, I find it helps if you are just barely rolling (1-3mph) with the trans in N when you shift to 4lo

Sorry, shoulda specified...
98 4.0 AW4 NP231
Thanks for help - i'll lube shift linkage & check fluid level... Hopefully nothing is horribly wrong.

Not to highjack the thread but this jeep i am going to look at he said the 4x4 works but the shifter is very stiff from not beaing used. How would i losen that up or is there something else i should beware of befor buying.

Back