• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpers vs toe point?

JWHIT67

NAXJA Forum User
I need recvery points! I currently have 98 xj basically stock 30" wheels no lift, no skids. Stock bumpers with rear reciever hitch. Should I replace new front bumper vs just adding recovery points to the current bumper? If new bumper what is the best deal balanceing quality with price (not interested in image or brand but not a hack job I have to drive to work.)

also, any rec on high jack and come-alongs?

also, air tank vs air compressor.

I know its alot

A good bumper serves more than just tow points. It offers protection, a strong lifting point, and a place put a winch.

I carry a hi lift, and 2 comalongs (strap comalongs not cable), and extra winch cable, but my rig weighs 5,000,000lbs (according to some) but I like to carry junk to fix other rigs when they break.

I carry a Co2 tank because those portable mini compressors suck balls unless it is an Oasis, but even that still sucks balls. If your A/C is broken then build an air system out of the a/c system.

If it comes down to not wheeling because of towpoints, then get a hi-lift jack, and spend the $50 bucks on some tow hook brackets from Quadratec.

Last edited:
Only thing about a Front Mount receiver is the loss of approach angle. It gets even worse with a shackle adapter for the 2" receiver.
It has not been an issue since my 3"ome lift.
The receiver does do a good job of protecting the front end from low tree trunks that you might run into if perhaps you came up over a hill and did not see it.
Even given the loss of approach clearance, I really like mine.

With only a reciever you are effectively eliminating the general purpose of a bumper. Protecting the front clip and radiator are a big plus to a big bumper.

mecompco said:
I vote front receiver--very handy and a great recovery point for relatively little money.
Or just a set of tow hooks with the brackets. I have found that my front bumper almost never hits, and it's pretty easy to keep an eye on anyway. I did rip the center part of the air dam off though. I would at least pull that part off before you wheel. It does help with gas milage a little bit, and looks a little funkey it you loose it.

Your bottle jack will be fine for now. I'm running a 3" lift, and still use mine.

The rear hitch will serve as a recovery point.

If you want to keep it on the inexpensive side, for the front, buy a set of tow hook brackets (I recommend Custom 4x4) or got to a junkyard and get a stock set (make sure you get all the bracketry and bolts).

A Hi-lift is a good, multipurpose tool. If you are going to use it for lifting the vehicle you'll need solid lift points (ie rock rails, aftermarket bumpers). If you want to use it for winch duties, you need the accesory kit from Hi-lift and a choker chain.

If you're looking for something just to inflate tires go with a 12v compressor. I have a QMAXX compressor that i bought from Costco for ~$50 and it works well for my 33" tires.

If you want to run air tools then you'll have to look into and OBA system w/ a tank or portable CO2 type system

Back