• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix re-wire....which wires to fuse?

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i finally got to work on the rewire, now i need to know which wires to put fuses on going in and out of the computer.

Thanks

You need Maxi-fuses on all the wires that used to have fusible links. You are keeping the OEM fuse box, right?

CRASH said:
You need Maxi-fuses on all the wires that used to have fusible links. You are keeping the OEM fuse box, right?

No, im not using the factory fues box, it was all corroded, so i wanted to not use it at all

In that case, you need to fuse everything that was in the fuse box, plus teh fusible links with maxi's. Do you still have the old box so you can see what went in and out of there?

CRASH said:
In that case, you need to fuse everything that was in the fuse box, plus teh fusible links with maxi's. Do you still have the old box so you can see what went in and out of there?

i ended up buying the book that OldMan recommended. there really isnt anything in the fuse box that goes directly into the computer tho.

what amp fuse should i be using to replace the links? im using 16 and 14g wire for all of my wiring

I had a thread about this about 2 weeks back. The consensus was to buy a PDC from an HO model and use this for underhood fusing duties. I took that advice and picked one up. Plenty of slots for relays, and 7 maxi fuse blocks, plus some mini's. The Maxi's are usually 30,40, or 50 amp.

CRASH said:
I had a thread about this about 2 weeks back. The consensus was to buy a PDC from an HO model and use this for underhood fusing duties. I took that advice and picked one up. Plenty of slots for relays, and 7 maxi fuse blocks, plus some mini's. The Maxi's are usually 30,40, or 50 amp.

yeah, i think thats what im going to do, i think i even have the fuse box :D

CRASH said:
you're welcome ;)
If you get a 94 I have all the wires figured out already. I can send the list after I get it typed out.

OK, Let me take a picture of the PDC and number it so it all makes sense. I'll print it as a PDF or something and toss it up on my webserver. I'll post the link back here. Right now all I've got is my shorthand notes, and those hardly make sense to me, let alone anyone else.

OK, so sorry for the late update.
I took it all apart tonight and discovered that my work with the meter was not very accurate.
Good news is now I've got access to the underside, so it's going to be easy enough to sort out the mess.
It also looks like you could replace the wiring with regular connectors, it's all standard stuff. This definitrly looks like the way to go
PDCunderside.JPG

Lincoln said:
B.S. There is nothing in there that requires more than 30 amps by itself. Unless they are using that 12 ga wire as a resistor. Still at that they are supplying up to three 12 guages on a single 16.

The point of the Maxi's is that they take temperature better than the standard blade fuses, important when using OEM sized wire!

Lincoln said:
B.S. There is nothing in there that requires more than 30 amps by itself. Unless they are using that 12 ga wire as a resistor. Still at that they are supplying up to three 12 guages on a single 16.
the fusible links supply many more things than just one component. The red green fusible link supplies the ECU, injector feeds, fuel pump and all the sensors downstream of the ECU.
The maxi fuses in the HO PDC were the direct replacements for the fusible links in the renix system, because fusible links suck bawls. Fusible links supplied the entire interior fuse block.

bamajeepjunkie said:
how can you tell what amp rating a fusible link is?

I had the same question several months ago, I didn't get a specific answer. I think the best way is to look at what circuits the Maxi's fuse, and compare that to the fusible link circuits in the Renix system.

CRASH said:
The point of the Maxi's is that they take temperature better than the standard blade fuses, important when using OEM sized wire!

87manche said:
the fusible links supply many more things than just one component. The red green fusible link supplies the ECU, injector feeds, fuel pump and all the sensors downstream of the ECU.
The maxi fuses in the HO PDC were the direct replacements for the fusible links in the renix system, because fusible links suck bawls. Fusible links supplied the entire interior fuse block.

Both of you are making good points.

Crash, like we discussed the heat is a bad thing which can cause the insulation to break down. But still to get the heat the current has to rise (besides engine heat). If there is voltage drop because of small wire the current will go up which causes heat. 30 amps can become 40 by about 10.5 volts considering a 14.1 volt starting point. Everyone knows how much ECU's like crappy voltage readings so I like to know about these things and would rather have the fuse blow than the harness get hot and show problems in other places.

87manche, you're saying the maxi fuses have crap stacked like the fusible links? That would explain using the Maxi's which are probably larger than the 30 amp ATC's. That would stop me from doing the new factory block. It's much easier to track any problems (joy of driving old junk) if each circuit is on it's own fuse.

I ended up running a 1 in and 9 out block with 30 amp fuses on the 12 guage wires and 25's on the 14's and 20's on the 16's. I mounted it to the inner fender about 6" behind the batter which let me just cut the fusible links off and hook each of the wires back up to the new block. It's not quite finished yet because I found out in the process that my battery tray was broken so I'm building a new tray to hold the two batteries I have and I'm also working on the welder install.

Back