• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing front driveshaft?

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
My front driveshaft is making terrible noises, and clanks and doing everything i don't want it to. When I put it in 4high, my car feels like it rumbles. I think the CV joint is worn out. anyways, question is....

What do i need to be cautious of when taking out the front DS? I want it completely out, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just unbolt it and take it out. Then see if your problem still exists.

Ya, 4 bolts on each end. If you take the retaining clips off and the u-joint doesn't want to just slip right out, give it a light tap. Should take you 5 minutes or less.

it may not be your driveshaft that's making the noise. i had a similar problem in my first jeep and i thought it was my driveshaft, but turns out all the gears in my transfer case were almost completely ground down. i agree with taking out the front driveshaft then shifting to 4hi and if it still does it look into the transfer case.

Do the centering ball kit when you do the u-joints. otherwise you could be pulling it back out. sucks removing a u-joint you just installed to get back to the ball. my shaft was quiet for 2 days before the noise came back.i only did the u-joints the first time.

Back