• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeving Axle Tubes / Shorten Axle

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on shortening a D44 out of a '79 F-150. I'm cutting off the cast portions and I'll internally sleeve the tubes and extend them back out. Here's my question. The tube is .250 wall and has an outside diameter of 2.961 and an inside diameter of 2.448. The tubes aren't perfectly clean, but these are fairly accurate #'s. Nobody carries weird tube dimensions like that but they say DOM tubing shouldn't be more than 10 thousandths off either. If I get 2.5" OD DOM can I press fit that into a 2.448 opening? Or will I need to take a little off with the grinder to get it to go in? I'm figuring I'll probably need to massage it with the grinder but if anybody has dealt with this I'd appreciate the knowledge.

PS: After putting the inner c's back on I'll be trussing it for additional strength before the brackets go on, so let's avoid the whole strength question.

Last edited:
And NO you wouldnt want to grind it down,it needs to be a precision fit!

If I have somebody turn it down on a lathe, how much interference fit is appropriate?

A few thousandths, nothing more. For that diameter around .002 would be good enough to center things; .004 only if you're going to be able to use heat/cold to shrink things enough.

Back