• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinker doesn't cancel after a turn

gone postal

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a '97 XJ today and the only things that don't work are the typical pass. window switches and the blinker doesn't cancel after making a turn. It doesn't matter if I turn right or left.

It really isn't a big deal - the handle is placed easily enough that I just turn it off, but what exactly is wrong? Is there a tab in the column that is broken or how exactly does it work? If it is a quick, cheap fix, then I'll do it, but if it's a PITA, I'll just keep my fingers ready to move the handle manually.

You have to disassemble the steering column. You need to be carefull because the airbag can do a serious number on you.

I haven't torn into mine but I imagine it has a cancel cam that rides in the steering column. I bet a search on here for turn signal cancel cam would turn up more info.

I imagine it's an easy fix but I haven't done it on a Jeep.

Parts to fix a pre-airbag cancel cam are dealer priced at about $120 so I have just gotten used to manually canceling my Right turn signals.

Back