• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o2 sensor removal

demiv

NAXJA Forum User
i was told that the 2nd o2 sensor is for emmisions only (wont affect performance) is this correct?
the reason i ask is because i smashed my cat on my 96 and all the inside came out - its just an empty case.
now the check engine light is on.
what type of sensor is the second o2 sensor and is there a was to make the computer think its ok. ive heard of resistors beind wired in place of the sensor. is this a bad idea or what voltage is the computer looking for.
thanks for the help.

The 2nd sensor is to check that the cat did its job,with that smashed/ not working the sensor is doing it,s job.The cost to replace the cat or the box to fool the sensor are very close to the same $$.Just replace the cat.
Wayne

i didnt want to spend the money on the o2 sim
i think its just a resistor or something so the computer sees the correct voltage. vhat voltage is it looking for. i could make that for about $1.

doesn't affect performance, you serious? if mileage doesn't count for performance, then you're right....

replace the o2 sensor and think about the fact that you just saved money on gas for the next year....

you need backpressure on the xj, i've run without a cat and it runs much better with one than without, same with the O2 sensor...

just fix it you'll be better off.

doesn't affect performance, you serious? if mileage doesn't count for performance, then you're right....

replace the o2 sensor and think about the fact that you just saved money on gas for the next year....

you need backpressure on the xj, i've run without a cat and it runs much better with one than without, same with the O2 sensor...

just fix it you'll be better off.

He's talking about the sensor after the cat, it has nothing to do with performance. All it does is tell the computer that the cat is doing its job. The upstream O2 sensor does, however, have a lot to do with performance.

That said, I would still just fix the cat as has been suggested, you can get a universal one for cheap and weld the bung in for the after cat sensor.

let me clarify, no cat and a missing o2 sensor will affect performance, period.

that better?

Back