• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor problems

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
The compressor pulley in my 99 started falling apart, so I got a new from O'Reilly for $217 and put it in. I removed the oil from the old compressor measured it and put the same amount of new oil in the new compressor. Vacuumed the system with an Autozone loaner pump and filled it. It ran great for about and hour, after that the compressor started making a fast click, click sound and the clutch stated cycling as if it is low on gas. Air not cold. Originally I didn't service it completely because I ran out of gas, but it had enough to produce nice cold air.
I can understand having a leak what I don't get is the noise, am I losing the compressor? I don't think I screwed up anything, possibly a defective compressor? I couldn't do any additional checking because my son needed the Jeep till tomorrow. Right now I'm trying to formulate a plan for tomorrow.

Last edited:
False alarm!
What I thought was a low serviced system was actually overfilled. My brand new Autozone gauges were reading too low. I checked with a set borrowed from a friend, released the extra gas and it is working perfectly. What I thought was a low pressure switch cycling a low system turned to be a high pressure switch cycling due to excessive pressure. I guess it pays to buy good quality tools :)
I returned the gauges and now I'm willing to pay a little more for better quality.

Back