• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ratcheting Noise

Fairmonco

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,when I lifted my Jeep 4.5" everything was fine driveline-wise.After I lifted 2" more,I had to get the rear shaft lengthened.And ever since,whenever I accelerate moderately from a dead stop,I get a ratcheting noise from the front-end somwhere.It gets worse the harder I give it gas,or if I`m turning while accelerating.But if I gently accelerate,i get no noises.It does it in 2x4 and 4x4 modes.I`m thinking it has something to do with the front driveshaft.Anyone have any ideas? By the way,U joints are all good,but the CV joint in the front shaft seems a lil stiff.

Check your fan shroud, yet?
A bad tranny mount or motor mount will let the drivetrain lean back which kicks the fan into the shroud.

Last edited:
Nope,no fan hitting shroud.Like I said,definately sounds like a driveline issue,but nothing is hitting anything,and everything still works as it should.

If you think it's got something to do with the front driveshaft, have you tried pulling it and driving without it?

I've been troubleshooting a noise very similar to what you've described on my Jeep, although I believe it to be a pretty unique situation. My rear driveshaft (dual cardan for SYE) was hitting the plastic bracket the rear O2 sensor uses for the wires.

Back