• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

are you smarter than the dealer - CC saga continued

pwoens

NAXJA Forum User
so here's the background. CC light will turn on but shortly after it will turn off on its own. So i posted up here and got clockspring as the most common cause. However, the airbag light never comes on so I was hesitant that it was the clockspring. Actually took it to the dealership cause I couldnt figure it out and they said it was clockspring as well but wanted 500.00 to replace it. Found one at jeepareus for 160 shipped and installed it on friday. SAME PROBLEM!! So i went to the parts yard and grabbed both switches and CC servo. Replaced everything and same problem??? Any other ideas??

nope...but when the cruise light disappears the cruise shuts off as well??? So i wouldnt assume its a bulb??? unless I miss your question??

You replaced switches as in the one that turns it on and off? I would check all the wiring, power to the module specifically. Grounds, all that good stuff.

98XJSport said:
You replaced switches as in the one that turns it on and off? I would check all the wiring, power to the module specifically. Grounds, all that good stuff.

switches = the ones in the steering wheel, both the left side and right side switches. I even ran the system without the right hand switches (cancel switches) to eliminate them as a problem and same results. When you say "power to the module specifically" what module are you referrencing -- the servo itself ??

sounds dumb, but have you had some one behind you when you did the test drive? My brake light switch was loose an my brake lights would flash, it would turn off my cruise control. You can try that

scottmcneal said:
sounds dumb, but have you had some one behind you when you did the test drive? My brake light switch was loose an my brake lights would flash, it would turn off my cruise control. You can try that

def not a dumb question....I have not switched the switch out yet....next on the list to switch out and was going to try that tomorrow night. I will have someone follow me to test it. That being said though, I doubt its the switch cause sometimes when I hit the "on" switch just to turn on the cruise, not actually SET it, it wont even light up on the dash which leads me to believe something is already cancelling out the power going to the on/off switch?? if that made sense?? which I guess would be a faulty brake switch???

pwoens said:
def not a dumb question....I have not switched the switch out yet....next on the list to switch out and was going to try that tomorrow night. I will have someone follow me to test it. That being said though, I doubt its the switch cause sometimes when I hit the "on" switch just to turn on the cruise, not actually SET it, it wont even light up on the dash which leads me to believe something is already cancelling out the power going to the on/off switch?? if that made sense?? which I guess would be a faulty brake switch???
BLS with a faulty ground sounds like your culprit or the BLS itself is loose. Check both possibilities while under your dash. I bet the BLS or a related issue is your problem.

Would help to know what year it is. The 97+ models all have the cruse function in the PCM (basically a dealer plug and play). There are differences in the switches through out those years too. They are not just simple on/off/on momentary switches. They have internal resistances that the PCM reads to determine what function to perform.

EDIT: If your break switch was bad the torque converter would be acting funny too.

so lifting up on the brake pedal does nothing. the more I thought about it the more I ruled out the brake pedal switch only because the actual dash light goes out as well. Meaning that if it was the switch on the pedal, the light on the dash would stay on but the cc would disengage if engaged...if ya get what im saying?

its a 2000 classic ... sorry. I pulled switches out of another 2000 so they are identical switches.

dumb question....is the BLS the break switch??

oh ya...one more thing....it worked great this morning for 70+ miles through downtown then cruising on the highway for 1.5 hours.????? first time its actually worked for any distance??

I have heard of brake, tail, turn, dash problems , and other weird things caused by grounds. Not too much mention of cruise tho..
A shot in the dark, there is supposed to be a ground behind the spare tire moulding that has caused MANY weird things on another forum.(I know, why would a ground back there have anything to do w/brake pedal..but) Don't know if it's worth your time.

cygnus58 said:
I have heard of brake, tail, turn, dash problems , and other weird things caused by grounds. Not too much mention of cruise tho..
A shot in the dark, there is supposed to be a ground behind the spare tire moulding that has caused MANY weird things on another forum.(I know, why would a ground back there have anything to do w/brake pedal..but) Don't know if it's worth your time.

anything is worth my time since I bought this thing mostly for commuting 3-4 days a week at 150 miles round trip each time. Weird thing is today is the first day it has not shut off completely?? It worked to work, at lunch, and on my way home :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Back