• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans coolers?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to put in a trans cooler on my 96 XJ using mobil 1 full synthetic fluid with the additive. Do I bypass the cooler on the radiator?

Jeepm@n said:
Im going to put in a trans cooler on my 96 XJ using mobil 1 full synthetic fluid with the additive. Do I bypass the cooler on the radiator?

You can bypass it or not, your choice. Bypassing it is the easy way. As for the Mobil-1 ATF, a little note, some have had no problems doing the conversion, others have. I would have it professionally flushed first and refilled with new fluid and see what happens. There is no rhyme or reason for the problems either, with some its been ok for others it cooked the tranny so be warned.

RichP said:
You can bypass it or not, your choice. Bypassing it is the easy way. As for the Mobil-1 ATF, a little note, some have had no problems doing the conversion, others have. I would have it professionally flushed first and refilled with new fluid and see what happens. There is no rhyme or reason for the problems either, with some its been ok for others it cooked the tranny so be warned.
Not specifically the Mobil-1 he means the synthetic. Your best bet as far a trans fluid would be to just use Mopar brand Dexron IIE/Mercon Don't use Dexron II either it can cause clutch chatter.

As far as your cooler I left mine in the circuit. It goes from the trans to the oem cooler to a thermostatic valve. From there it either goes back to the trans, or to the aux cooler (if the temp is above 200*) then back to the trans.

Scooby any pics of your themostatic valve setup or where to get one? That sounds awesome as it can get quite chilly up here in the Great White North. I heard transmissions like to be a lil warmer than -32 F.
:worship:

Back