• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60 Tech Questions

Jeep Ritter

NAXJA Forum User
Putting together a rear 70s Ford Dana 60 in my XJ project and need a few questions answered.

First I want to do away with the 8-lug pattern and move to a more reasonable 5x5.5, I have never built an axle of this variety thus do not know where I can source the parts from and/or what to pull them out of.

Second I will be disc braking this axle. I know BTF and many others have caliper brackets available for use with rotors from a '73-'87 GM 3/4 ton front axle and calipers from a '73-'87 1/2 or 3/4 ton front axle but if I am swaping to a 5x5.5 pattern what rotors would be suggested.

If anyone on here can help me out, here is a big thank you in advance.

You are aware that is most likely a 30 spline D60? The same as a D44...

TNT said:
You are aware that is most likely a 30 spline D60? The same as a D44...

He is doing everything else, mine as well gut it to fit 35 spliners.

Except a Dana 44 does not have 35-spline options and do not come as a semi or full float housing... but correct me if I am wrong, in all seriousness I am more eager to learn before a mistake is made.

I have yet to pull the axle apart and count the splines but I am sure you are right.

Jeep Ritter said:
O and yes I plan to do a complete gut and rebuild with 35 spline shafts/carrier ...well locker

The spindles will need to be bored to fit the 35 spline shafts. The hubs will need to be machined down for the 5 lug wheels to fit and the new lug holes need to be drilled also. If I remember correctly you will need F-150 or 1/2 ton Dodge rotors. The center hole will need to be machined larger to fit over the axle hubs. Caliper brackets need to be welded on and 3/4 ton or wagoneer calipers will be needed. If you want an emergency brake different calipers will be needed(but don't expect them to work very well). Now add up the prices of the machine work, brakes rotors, gears and the other misc parts, including your time. I also think the rims might need some work to fit.

For the money you could probably build a 40 spline semi float 9" axle that will be as strong or stronger with the Explorer type rear discs. That way you have real emergency brakes. It will also have better ground clearance then a D60.

A true high 9" center might be about the same price or only slightly more in the long run. It will be lighter weight which is easier on chassis and will help driveline angles and protection greatly.

You make some valid points, machine work adds up and really isn't all that cheap unless you can do it yourself. I'll look into a 9inch which was originally considered before I picked up the 60 in a trade. I liked the idea of a 60 being nearly invincible with what I would be running now (35-36") and what I could possible plan to run in the future. Though it seems the same amount of money or even less in a 9" would allow the rig to withstand a similiar amount of abuse. Thank you for the information, a build thread is in the making so keep me in mind in the next couple weeks.

Back