• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need more leg room in a '98

scuba413

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched with no luck. I know there are other tall XJ owners out there. Has anyone modified the drivers seat to go back further. If you have pics of your mod that would be great. Please help a cramped driver.

At 6'4, I understand your situation.. I have a set of Suburban seats I'm putting about 4 inches further back than stock.

Hope you can find a solution as well

I'm 6'6 and have a 97 xj, while it is a little tight I got used to it pretty quick and it grew on me...I'm pretty comfy now with the seat all the way back and the tilt wheel down almost all the way

also gotta love some of the "WTF" looks on peoples faces when I jump in or out :roflmao:

I haven't looked at the seat slider mechanism, but I'd imagine the easiest way to mod it would be to mount the seat further back on the mechanism vs. trying to move the mechanism back on the floor being unibody and all, but thats pure speculation

I don't know why I can not fit in any vehicle. I have the xj seat all the way back and the wheel all the way up. And my legs are touching the bottom of the wheel. By the way I am only 6'2 but not stick skinny

yeah I hear you there, for the first couple weeks my knee kept bumping the ignition and shutting it down while I was driving :eek:

Is the 98 seat all one piece or is the bracket and the seat seperate. Do they come apart. if so can I unbolt and redrill????

I had same problem. All you need is 1/4" flat steel about 2" wide. Take your seat out and unbolt it from the mounting arms. Make the steel about 4" longer than the 2 bolt holes. Mark and drill holes in steal so you can offset the seat. You won't get as close to the steering wheel but gain 3" off leg room. If I am not making sense let me know and I will get pictures. You will also need 4 carraige bolts per seat with nuts. I bought some 4 years ago but the guy went out of business because someone sued him.

I understand I need a .25"x4inch flat stock. But do I drill the hole in one end and bolt it to the stock locations and then bolt the seat in the second hole 3 inches back????????

The brackets are removable from the bottom of the seats. IIRC there is enough material to redrill the holes on the seats so they will go back farther. Also the power seat brackets alow the seat to go back about another inch, or so. Not to mention you can lower the seat to get more head room. If you go to a junk yard to get the power bases get the harness over to the plug under the passenger seat. You're pre wired to that point. From there it's just a matter of putting the circuit breaker in the fuse block on th eside there.

:clap:I took the seat appart this morning and I found a soultion. I went to lowes and bought a piece of steel flat bar 3/16x1 1/2 x36" and four bolts Grade 8.

Take the seat appart from the frame. I cut the bar in half 18" I then drilled holes at 1" for the stock bolt 3" for the new front bolt and 15" for the stock rear bolt and 17" for the new rear bolt. Place the bar between the seat and the bracket and bolt it up. repeat of the other side of the seat

I think I gained about 2inches There is a visable difference and my left leg is just about straight.

I start the thread and solve the problem I like that. HAHA

Back