• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight delay module?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Is this the headlight delay/timer module?

It makes a strange noise sometimes (only for a few seconds) if the headlights are on timer mode....also if you tap it, it sounds like something is loose inside.

Box1.jpg

If you remove the lower dash panel, this is mounted to the top of the dash right below the rear defrog switch, etc. Thanks!

From my experiance, the elay module is a timer/switch. When the ignition is turned off, the timer begins its count down to a pre-programmed number of seconds. Hopefully during the count down, the light switch is turned off. If the timing experies before the switch is turned off, the timer emits a rather strange indiscribeable sound hopefully to remind the driver to move the switch to the off position. Doing this will immediately turn the light off. Mine does that everytime I turn the ignition off and sit in the XJ without turning the light switch. Hope this help.

The timer works correctly for the headlights. If you leave them on, then take the key out after turning the vehicle off, then turn the lights off....the lowbeams stay on for around 15-20 seconds.

It doesn't make any other noises. The only noise that is on is if you leave the headlight switch in the on position without a key in the ignition.

This headlight module will like raddle occasionally if the timer is on. If you tap it, like I said, it emits a similar noise. Something is loose/rattling inside. Almost sounds like a spring unraveling after being coiled really tightly (the noise that it makes when the headlight timer is on, sometimes....not all the time!)

Back