• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E22 recall

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know how many people have received notice of this, but it reprograms your PCM and inspects your catalytic converter, replacing it if necessary. Well I had mine done and the check engine light came on immediately following the pickup of my Jeep. Well unfortunately they keep almost the exact same hours I work so I wasn't able to take it back in immediately. I took it back the next day and they said the diagnostic machine called out a bad TPS and it wasn't related to the recall work they did. And it would be $384 to fix. I talked to some friends at work and they could get the part for $35 dealer price and I could talk to the techs there and work out a price for the labor. Went back and the Jeep dealer wanted to charge $92 to pull a code. I said no, this seems entirely too coincidental to me. I disputed it, the writer there gave me an attitude, his manager saw things my way and waived the fee. He said it may have a change in the voltage to the sensor and that could've sent the code. Anyways, the whole point of this is to ask, anyone else have any issues after having this recall done? BTW I did get a free catalytic converter out of the deal.

I got the recall on my 96' but those friggers are not gonna touch it! It runs too good and even though I have put one cat on due to rattles I'm leaving it alone and I'll cut my loses on the cat.

BlackSport96 said:
Don't know how many people have received notice of this, but it reprograms your PCM and inspects your catalytic converter, replacing it if necessary. Well I had mine done and the check engine light came on immediately following the pickup of my Jeep. Well unfortunately they keep almost the exact same hours I work so I wasn't able to take it back in immediately. I took it back the next day and they said the diagnostic machine called out a bad TPS and it wasn't related to the recall work they did. And it would be $384 to fix. I talked to some friends at work and they could get the part for $35 dealer price and I could talk to the techs there and work out a price for the labor. Went back and the Jeep dealer wanted to charge $92 to pull a code. I said no, this seems entirely too coincidental to me. I disputed it, the writer there gave me an attitude, his manager saw things my way and waived the fee. He said it may have a change in the voltage to the sensor and that could've sent the code. Anyways, the whole point of this is to ask, anyone else have any issues after having this recall done? BTW I did get a free catalytic converter out of the deal.

I have done a number of these recalls and other than people returning with a code for a bad cat, I have not really seen any problems with the flash.

also them trying to charge you for diagnostic time is completely fair in my opnion. at my dealer we charge the diag time up front for any customer concern that is not covered under warranty, and if it does turn out to be a warranty issue than the fee is waived.
also we waive the fee if the customer actually does the repair.

basically all it is there for is to make sure that I am going to get paid for the time I spend working on your vehicle if you decide to leave without a repair, as techs get paid by the job and not hourly. you wouldnt like it if I came to your work and asked you to work for free right? so why should I have to.

the was off before they did the work right? then the light is on after? yep they didn't do it.. i hear this all the time, we didn't do it

I had the o2 sensor on my 88 replaced under recall with 250011 on the clock. They said at first they weren't going to do it. So I called Chrysler and had them call the dealer ship. I got 10 free oil changes when I was done with the whole mess.

Thunder11265 said:
I have done a number of these recalls and other than people returning with a code for a bad cat, I have not really seen any problems with the flash.

also them trying to charge you for diagnostic time is completely fair in my opnion. at my dealer we charge the diag time up front for any customer concern that is not covered under warranty, and if it does turn out to be a warranty issue than the fee is waived.
also we waive the fee if the customer actually does the repair.

basically all it is there for is to make sure that I am going to get paid for the time I spend working on your vehicle if you decide to leave without a repair, as techs get paid by the job and not hourly. you wouldnt like it if I came to your work and asked you to work for free right? so why should I have to.

I am curious. Could you give me some insight in to how you inspect the CAT to see if it needs replaced, for this recall? Do you just do an emissions test? I haven't had this recall done because after the recall if your CAT becomes less effective the ECU will set the CEL but as it stands right now I could punch the CAT out and still get a CEL.

deumbower said:
I am curious. Could you give me some insight in to how you inspect the CAT to see if it needs replaced, for this recall? Do you just do an emissions test? I haven't had this recall done because after the recall if your CAT becomes less effective the ECU will set the CEL but as it stands right now I could punch the CAT out and still get a CEL.

The recall states to check the converter by striking the exhaust with a 1lb rubber mallet 1 foot from the concerter and listen for any rattles. No rattles converter is ok.

JEFF said:
The recall states to check the converter by striking the exhaust with a 1lb rubber mallet 1 foot from the concerter and listen for any rattles. No rattles converter is ok.
Your kidding. That has nothing to do with how efficient the CAT is performing, which is what the ECU flash is supposed to fix. CAT efficiency monitoring. Sounds to me like the consumer is getting screwed again.

deumbower said:
Your kidding. That has nothing to do with how efficient the CAT is performing, which is what the ECU flash is supposed to fix. CAT efficiency monitoring. Sounds to me like the consumer is getting screwed again.

I kid you not......those are almost the exact words from the recall repair instructions. I dont think it is intended to be a very scientific but just a basic test of if the cat is broken up inside. The PCM gets a software update either way.

I had the TPS go out on my 97 right after I bought it, you will know if it is really out, it will run like a turd and won't downshift at WOT (if its an auto). some of the symptoms were backfiring, rough idle and stalling, very little power, and terrible gas millage. its an easy fix too, I paid $50 for the sensor at auto zone and it took 10-15min to install, hardest part of the install was finding my torx bits :rolleyes:

On my now totalled '96 I took it in to get them to replace the cat and do the reprogram. Dealer tried to con me into getting a lot of more work than needed, and then when I picked it up they made the grumble from the cat much worse. They claimed there was an "aftermarket exhaust" (even though there certainly was not) and the cat would not fit properly so they would not fix their problems they made. Coincidentally it got totalled like 2 days later.... hmmmmmmm

im actually getting the work done right now at jim click jeep in tuszon, az. the reason im here and not in sac is cause of military orders and when the service writer saw that on my form that california wont renew my res tags w/o the completion of this e22 recall, he was surprised. anyone in cali have this same issue about renewal of the tags?

yep, i just went through the same deal. dmv had a "hold" on my registration until i had the recall done. i had one of the techs do it for me(i work for chrysler). three days later the p0420 code came on. "catalyst efficiency below threshold". i got a new cat out of the deal too, sweet!

deumbower said:

actually no, after the reflash is done there is a 12 mo 12k mile "grace period". so if the code for cat failure comes up within that timeframe, we replace the cat even if it passed the inspection at the time of the flash. basically 90% of the people who get this recall done are going to end up with a free cat.

deumbower said:

The recall affected my 96. I had already replaced the cat because at idle it rattled like shaking a coffee can full of nuts and bolts. I sent Chrysler the bill and they paid in full. My understanding is that the new program will give you a CAT code sooner than the original. I don't want that so, I didn't take it to the dealer.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thunder11265 said:
actually no, after the reflash is done there is a 12 mo 12k mile "grace period". so if the code for cat failure comes up within that timeframe, we replace the cat even if it passed the inspection at the time of the flash.
true. a lot of people aren't aware of this; this is why i got a new converter two weeks after having the flash/inspection done.

Thunder11265 said:
actually no, after the reflash is done there is a 12 mo 12k mile "grace period". so if the code for cat failure comes up within that timeframe, we replace the cat even if it passed the inspection at the time of the flash. basically 90% of the people who get this recall done are going to end up with a free cat.

What does the flash affect? Does it make the light come sooner as I understand it, or something else?

Back