• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine belt?

foreman1063

NAXJA Forum User
My friend has a 95 2wd XJ with the 4.0l engine. His a/c compressor seized up and destroyed his serpentine belt. He doesn't want to spend the $$$ to fix the A/C so I was wondering if we could just remove the compressor and run a belt from a non-A/C Cherokee. Does the non-A/C version use a shorter belt or the same belt with an idler pulley?

Mine seized but still free-wheels when the a/c is not turned on, does his?

I unplugged the compressor to avoid un-intentional a/c operation.

foreman1063 said:
Nah, everything is seized, on or off.

I'd hit the junkyard and grab another compressor. Probably would cost about the same as trying to fab up an idler pulley. If he doesn't want a/c he doesn't have to recharge it, and even better, if he changes his mind, he can!

I could but I was wondering if the Cherokee's without A/C use a shorter belt from the factory. If that belt was shorter I could remove the compressor and put the short belt on.

Yes, the non-AC models have a bracket that mounts in place of the compressor. And there is a pulley on that. It is possible to find one in a junkyard. But they are getting scarce.

xjohnnyc said:
Yes, the non-AC models have a bracket that mounts in place of the compressor. And there is a pulley on that. It is possible to find one in a junkyard. But they are getting scarce.
They are making them aftermarket now through NAPA I believe for 91+ XJs. Many other parts stores will have them soon enough though because they have numbers for them; they just don't carry them...yet.

Back