• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Glass Hatch Conversion Kit

duct tape

The only vehicle I can think of you can look at for some comparison is maybe a Toyota 4Runner. I don't think I have seen any conversion kits around.

Hmm... I wonder if you can make your own using thick plexi glass and a camershell's glass...

I also was interested in this option sometime ago-There was a Rear Glass conversion kit sometime ago maybe five or six years back and if I remember correctly it was an option offered on some XJs-I'm thinking maybe J.C Whitney or a open internet search might provide more information -Also at the time there were some lingering concerns and issues with haveing a rear glass hatch opening and maybe creating a problem with drawing large amounts of exhaust fumes/carbon dioxide though the XJ's cabin-HTH

Check out the Explorer. You'll need hinges fastened to the glass, a compatible gasket, some kind of lock, and the gas struts. Cutting down a tempered rear glass may not be an option at any glass shop, but putting holes in existing glass can be done, as well as salvaging a compatible setup from another vehicle.

Anything can be done, it's finding the easiest/cheapest that works. With a 96 up, if the tape measure says it can be done, "just" weld in the window hole and bolt it all up (easier said than done.)

02explorer_hatch.jpg

thats the rear hatch of the explorer, if you can find one that has been beat to hell, the parts you would need are minor. as in the hinges, shocks, and latch assembly. this is also if you dont have the rearwindow heater assembly. if you do have the rear heater window, you're gonna have to get the coil spring wiring from the explorer and see if you can mate that to your harness.
I'm interested now in doing this... Hmmm...

actually, it may not work, that whole rear glass is fit into the metal frame... you'd have to cut into the metal to get it to seal like that. errr, not gonna do that.

Just take the whole lift gate and cut the edges square, make it fit into an xj lift gate and weld it up. Guess it'd be harder for the guys with fiberglass liftgates though.

I think the ZJ made the rear glass like that but i think it was just an option and i don't think it was very popular.

Back