• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Mods...

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
In a few months ill be putting an RE 4.5in lift on my xj, and i was wondering if I should upgrade to adj LCAs and UCAs... Also, should i opt for a different trac bar? and if so, should i go with a different one than the RE HD one? I heard that the T&T Customs one was better...

I was in your situation before and I can tell you to for sure go with adjustable control arms. Some guys prefer upper adjustables and others lower. Mainly, the reason I have seen guys go with uppers is to keep the threaded adjustable arms from getting marred up on rocks so they use uppers. I have lower adjustables and a LP30 and that is the worst situation you will have caster issues wise, mine is working out good. I would also go with at least the RE heavy duty trac bar, the TNT might even be better. I don't know about TNT, I have not used them but I do have RE's and it is solid and stout. I would use RE as the standard and if you go heavier duty than that, you can't go wrong.

I have sort of the same question. What if I got adjustable upper and lower? Could I then move the entire axle forward an inch or two? Mainly wondering if it makes sense to get adjustable upper and lower arms.

I wouldn't move my axle that far with adjustable arms... How much lift are you doing el roy? Any time you can adjust your front end after lift is good..I moved mine about 1' then did the test drive..

Going with 4.5" springs. My current Jeep has about the same lift and the front axle looks like it should be forward another inch or two because the tires (33") are closer to the back of the fender then the front. That one has a Skyjacker 3" kit with 2" spacers in the front and used to have 2" blocks in the rear. The lower control arms are bent now because they weren't made for that much lift and hit the mount on the axle. My old Jeep is in the process of being torn down.

i have 32s on my xj, and the tires are kinda close to the rear of the front fenders. but remebe, the wheel travels in a arc during suspension travel. If the axle is too far forward, it will rib on thew front of the fenders as well as the bumper during flex. there is a chart on here somewhere for contraol arm lengths. just do a search for it, i know its here

You can find that chart on control arm lengths at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

That's a good read anyway, because at 4.5" you're really going to feel every bump in the road. Drop Brackets have been discussed to death in other threads, but I'll jump in here early and recommend them.

I'm also going to recommend you upgrade the RE trackbar to the Heavy-Duty one - and get the Trackbar Brace. It makes a world of difference in tying the front end together. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re1670.html

Jim www.yuccaman.com

a thing to remember if you buy both adj. uppers and lowers is that you probably wont want to get ride of them because of the extra money invested. So if you ever plan on goin to long arms maybe fixed is the way to go, other wise drop brackets work great

Back