• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker vs. Spool

chris_amrein

NAXJA Forum User
Because I am on a tight budget, I can not afford to regear and do ARB's front and back right now, so I thought the next best thing would be to regear and do a spool or lunch box locker in the back of my 97.

Any opinions on lunchbox locker vs. spool? I had a Lockright in a 87 XJ years ago and it seemed like it transfered the locking/unlocking energy to the Puegot tranny, and I went through a few trannys because of this.

A spool seems like it would not be as bad and more predictable by design.

This is not a trail only XJ. I also use it to commute to work.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

spool will eat rear tires.

locker will be more tire friendly, but it will do some odd things on the road occasionally.

I'd do a lunchbox, my AX-15 was fine with a detroit back there, daily driving.

can't blame the locker for the pueguoet failures, that gearbox sucks.

I've ran my Detroit EZ lunchbox locker for a while on my DD. Since you drive on the street alot, dont do the spool as mentioned because rubber gets expensive!

BTW, I have the Detroit EZ locker for sale for a 29 spl 8.25 since it seems you are local to me.

Automatic full carrier locker: Stronger than most factory carriers. Lots more traction. Easier on tires at the cost of handling quirks in curves. Recommended for daily drivers/weekend offroaders. Not worth the money to upgrade a Dana 35, as the housing is the main weakness, and upgrading the traction of that axle will only accellerate it's point of failure.

"Lunchbox" lockers: Better traction with the same handling quirks as mentioned above. Great value for the money if used in a daily driver/weekend offroader. Not recommended for Dana 35 for the same reasons mentioned above, plus it retains the marginal factory carrier.

Spool or welding: Hard on tires if used as a daily driver. A LOT more predictable than an automatic locker. Ultimate in traction. Definately not recommended for a Dana 35, and definately not recommended for front applications.

I've run both a welded rear diff, and currently am running Detroit EZ Lockers front and rear (Dana 30 front, Explorer 8.8 rear). I have to say that other than the handling quirks and less tire wear, it's no different than my previous XJ's welded and Lock Right setup (Dana 30 front, Chrysler 8.25 rear).

Thanks for the replies.

My XJ is a 97 so I assume it has the 29 spline 8.25. I will probably go w/ the locker since new tires don't grow on trees.

Thanks, Chris

DJ Josh - PM sent.

im locked f/r with lunchboxes. aussie in my d30, and a lock-rite in my rear 8.8. on 35s. isn't bad at all on road IMO. and is amazing off. ive gone places in 2wd that people who are open open havn't gone

I had a spool in the rear of my XJ... and the stock 28 spline ford 9" shafts literally ate away @ the splines on the spool. Then the spool eventually gave way @ a shitty time and I almost flipped.

Needless to say... I am now going w/ a full case detroit.

chris_amrein said:
Thanks for the replies.

My XJ is a 97 so I assume it has the 29 spline 8.25. I will probably go w/ the locker since new tires don't grow on trees.

Thanks, Chris

DJ Josh - PM sent.
I wouldnt assume anything!If you have ABS then you have a D35!

KJ 139 If your interested in getting rid of that lockright, shoot me an email.
I dont do any rockcrawling so I was considering one of these or an Aussie.

codysown @ gmail.com no spaces.

Thanks
T Cody

Cody, sorry but MrMom already called dibs if Chris doesn't want it. If for some reason he changes his mind, then you're next. I'm glad that somebody will get some use out of this thing. I went to an 8.8, so I can't use it and I've tried to give it to a couple of guys locally, but I don;t think they understood what I was trying to give them. Either that or the thought of messing with their axle freaked them out. Either way; Chris, MrMom or Cody, it's free (that whole Karma thing!).

Thanks for the good karma vibes, but I had a dana 35 with a lockright once. Honestly wasn't a bad set up, I just want to run 33's so I either hope I have a 29 spline rearend or will get the pleasure of swapping one in.

Thanks again,

Chris

Back