• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Axle half shafts

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I really need new U-joints bad. I see that Parts America is selling CV half shafts as a replacement part as well. Is it at all possible that a CV half shaft will replace the traditional "U-Joint" half shaft on an XJ?
If not....does anyone know the proper part number for a 98 XJ front axle U-Joint without antilock brakes.
Some of the websites list them, but I know there have been problems getting the correct sizes. Some without antilocks actually take the size recommended for the ones equipped with antilock brakes. If anyone has the part number that would be great. Even a site I can get them from too.

Still curious about the CV Joint option as well.

Thanks.

the cv joint style should fit, but is not as strong as the u-joint style.
also with the cv you will have the problem of the boots tearing.
imo just keep the stock u-joint style shafts.

bustednutz said:
I really need new U-joints bad. I see that Parts America is selling CV half shafts as a replacement part as well. Is it at all possible that a CV half shaft will replace the traditional "U-Joint" half shaft on an XJ?
If not....does anyone know the proper part number for a 98 XJ front axle U-Joint without antilock brakes.
Some of the websites list them, but I know there have been problems getting the correct sizes. Some without antilocks actually take the size recommended for the ones equipped with antilock brakes. If anyone has the part number that would be great. Even a site I can get them from too.

Still curious about the CV Joint option as well.

Thanks.
95+ XJ's have the same size ujoints, abs or no abs

Spicer-260-x for the small joint
Spicer-297-x for the large joint,this # has been superceeded to a 760 X IIRC.
You can,t mix a CV joint with a universal joint in the front axle shafts if that is what your asking.Inners and outer shafts must match. Grands have the CV type shafts,but I can,t see the need to change.
Wayne

Stick your head under there and measure the diameter of the u-joint cap. The 297 will be 1-3/16" Dia, and the smaller 260 is 1-1/16" diameter.

How hard is it to replace u-joints on a 99 4x4? I'm looking at one with 225K on the odo, but 85,000 on a new(er) engine. It's a decent price for it, but want to know if the u-joint is something I could do on a Sunday or the approx. cost of a repair job?

thanks!
CB

Back