• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goin' Topless?

firedog11ku

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any way possible that you can fully cage a '91 XJ and chop the top from window to tailgate without putting it in a frame. When I bought the xj, that was my intension. Then when I really started looking at its "frame", if that's what you call it, I think that it will just end up in a junk yard for scrap. My second idea was to put the body on a wagoneer frame and go with a small block drivetrain, but I'd really like to know if there's any way to strengthen the frame to let it go topless.

I don't do any hardcore boggin' or crawlin', just some family trailin'. Let me know what your ideas are. Thanks.

;) 91 XJ Laredo, bone stock for now.

codyyy said:
I've been trying to figure out if there's a way to "convert" an XJ to full frame.
you can do it, its only 2 easy steps
sell xj, buy tj, easy huh?

The full cage is a frame. The question is, what do you consider a full cage?

firedog11ku said:
Is there any way possible that you can fully cage a '91 XJ and chop the top from window to tailgate without putting it in a frame. When I bought the xj, that was my intension. Then when I really started looking at its "frame", if that's what you call it, I think that it will just end up in a junk yard for scrap. My second idea was to put the body on a wagoneer frame and go with a small block drivetrain, but I'd really like to know if there's any way to strengthen the frame to let it go topless.

I don't do any hardcore boggin' or crawlin', just some family trailin'. Let me know what your ideas are. Thanks.

;) 91 XJ Laredo, bone stock for now.

A full cage to me would be a cage the starts at the fire wall and goes to the tailgate. It goes through the floor pan and would be attached to the "unibody frame like thing" with plates.

I've had a CJ and a YJ. Didn't care for either. Besides, I have 5 kids and a wife. Little jeeps cause to many arguements over who gets to ride first.

If you tie the cage into the frame after you have reinforced those uni-frame rails you'll have no problem. It will actually be stronger than the stock setup. Just make sure that you tie the frame into the cage!!!. Also are you taling about cutting the whole top off?> If you do that youll have to get good support on the pillars!

subscribe and check out the ad fab forum

cage+sleeved frame rails=good

ROBZ95Xj said:
you can do it, its only 2 easy steps
sell xj, buy tj, easy huh?
I like the look of the XJ and the price of an XJ over a TJ and it would be cool to actually body lift one of those. Oh well, I know it would be way too much fab work for what it's worth.

Back