• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE swapping.

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I have an SYE in my 87 with selec-trac. What I want to do is transfer everything from my 87 to my 96 with command-trac. I have a feeling I wont be able to swap the SYE over though. Does anyone know this for sure?

Just think about what you're asking and you'll answer your own question. They are two different types of transfer cases, one likely an NP242 and the other an NP231, and they are not even close to being the same. Sorry. Your feeling is right.

I'm new to working on Jeeps, so I figured I'd ask the people who know. I thought maybe that piece was the same since it's just a cone and shaft. Mostly I was just hoping. I really don't want to spend $200 on another SYE kit.

el_roy1985 said:
I'm new to working on Jeeps, so I figured I'd ask the people who know. I thought maybe that piece was the same since it's just a cone and shaft. Mostly I was just hoping. I really don't want to spend $200 on another SYE kit.

AW-4 Trans? You could swap the 87 trans in and use that transfer with the SYE.

Or swap in a 23 spline input gear to the 87's NP242.

John B said:
AW-4 Trans? You could swap the 87 trans in and use that transfer with the SYE.

Or swap in a 23 spline input gear to the 87's NP242.

Now that's the kind of info I was looking for. I'll have to decide whether I want to swap them though. I like the thought of having a stronger transfer case, although the full-time is very nice in the winter.

I don't think I'd be swapping the trans, but what is involved with swapping the input gear on the TC?

Thanks for the help.

Back