• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many have installed their own gears?

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Not looking for how to install gears, I'm just curious how many average joes have done it successfully out of their own garages/driveways. Prices around here are $200 per axle to install gears and I could sure use that $400 towards other parts of the build. I helped a buddy install gears in his truck awhile back and it didn't seem too difficult, just had to take your time and check all the clearances. He ended up moving out of state so he can't come physically help me, so I'd pretty much be on my own, but he did say if I ran into any snags I could give him a call and he could attempt to explain. Just wondering if I could do this with the average tool collection (id go out and buy the dial indicator for backlash of course), or if its not worth the risk and I should just shell out the money.

There is actually a thread very similar (tools needed, tips, etc) to this semi-on-going right now: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=927664

IntrepidXJ said:
I found it was better to invest in the tools than pay someone to do them for me......it isn't very difficult, just can be time consuming the first few times.

X2. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I personally find it much better to invest in good quality tools than to pay for labor. My time for my benefit is free, plus I like working in the garage. It's relaxing. :laugh3:

I spent 700 to get my 8.25 and d30 regeared a few years back. when I installed the rear D-44 and wanted to regear again, I spent 400 on tools and did it myself. since then I have done 20 some axles for clubmembers and spend another 700 on more/better tools. Takes between 4 and 6 hours per differential to get them set up. All have lasted with no issues, club members are happy (I do charge 100.00 per axle plus consumables), but they are a pain to do.

Point is, 200 per axle is not much more than the cost of tools to get them done.

The 8.25 i did easily, the 30 was a little more problematic. The stock pinion shim was too thin and the one yukon gave me was too thick. i had to use the thin one and now i go through pinion seals pretty quickly because of all the play.

I've never setup a Chrysler 8.25 or D30, but I have done quite a few D44, D60, a D70, and a metric ton of 14Bff.

As far as tools go, really all you need is a good dial indicator and a micrometer. A press is nice to have, but it can be done without with a decent puller, a block of wood and a BFH. A case spreader is nice to have for the Dana axles, but not really necessary. Setup bearings can save you a lot of time and are easy to make out of the old bearings.

Once you get the hang of doing it and a feel for it, the need for all the special tools becomes even less. I've done a trail install on a D44 without anything but basic hand tools, checked everything a few weeks later and no shims or adjustments were needed... I'm thinking that was just dumb luck though.

It's easy. Just put everthing back together, like shims exacly as it came out. This is your best starting point an is ussually not that far off if you use OEM gears. I had an easy set up with a set of PORC gears also. It's also time well spent to pull the axel and do it on a bench. Keeps everthing clean and easy to see. One more thing is to look at your backlash and check the overall feel of how it is turning before you pull the carrier. Feel how tight the pinion is and how much backlash you have and this will if nothing else stop you from second guessing when you go back together.

billyjp2 said:
The 8.25 i did easily, the 30 was a little more problematic. The stock pinion shim was too thin and the one yukon gave me was too thick. i had to use the thin one and now i go through pinion seals pretty quickly because of all the play.
Honestly it sounds like you shouldn't have regeared your own axles. Play? there should be no play in a pinion shaft that allows you to go through pinion seals.
Its not that hard to install gears correctly. thats how I got started. I did my own gears and found it to be easy. Now it takes me an average of 3-4 hours per axle. 30's, 44's. bigger axles take a little longer just because of the weight.
ford 8.8's are super easy for me as well as the 8.25. once you get the jist of it and a good understanding of what the hell to do then go for it.
my best is 2:15 on a D30 with an ARB from wheels up to wheels down. my #'s were right on the first time.
knowing the right way to install gears and having a clue as to how to go about it is critical, or you might have a loose pinion even though you think you did a good job.

Rawbrown said:
Honestly it sounds like you shouldn't have regeared your own axles. Play? there should be no play in a pinion shaft that allows you to go through pinion seals.
Its not that hard to install gears correctly. thats how I got started. I did my own gears and found it to be easy. Now it takes me an average of 3-4 hours per axle. 30's, 44's. bigger axles take a little longer just because of the weight.
ford 8.8's are super easy for me as well as the 8.25. once you get the jist of it and a good understanding of what the hell to do then go for it.
my best is 2:15 on a D30 with an ARB from wheels up to wheels down. my #'s were right on the first time.
knowing the right way to install gears and having a clue as to how to go about it is critical, or you might have a loose pinion even though you think you did a good job.

I'll soon be rippin into mine for the first time... I refuse to ever pay anyone any amount of money to do somthing i could have done! So i may a mistake or 2 the first time around but hell - its just money... if ya don't mind I'll keep ya in mind if i have a question.

my 8.25 was $125 to have my gears installed at a speed shop. I brought them my axle and a pile of parts. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. If I installed them and screwed it up, my problem. If they messed it up, their problem!

lowrange2 said:
Maybe i need to drive to KS. I might actually pay somone 125 just to not have to fool with it.

Ya I was suprised that $125 was all they charged for a rear axle. Pulled it outta the XJ and dropped it off. $125 and a couple days later, 4.56 gears installed and much better gas mileage and power.

I took it to a local speed shop and they did an awesome job on it. Figure if anybody knows gears, its someone who builds axles to withstand massive amounts of horsepower.

I just did a 8.8 and a non disco 30 for my MJ....and am doing another 8.8 for a buddy's YJ....I will never pay someone to do one for me again unless I become physically disabled.

I've always done my own gears mostly because I didn't have the money to have someone else do it. I've done less then a dozen installs but even at $200 a end that is a fair bit of money. I've probably got less then $200 total into my "gear setup" specific tools, so they've more then paid for themselfs.

I've got a 12 ton HF press, bearing spreader, bearing puller, inch lb torque wrench and dial guage with magnetic base. The other tools used like sockets and stuff I really wouldn't count. It is nice to have the tools though, I've used my press way more then I though I would. The bearing spreader and puller are just cheap HF or Autozone tools, and after half a dozen uses they are getting pritty wore out. I'll probably toss them before the next install, but I don't use them enough to justify the cost of a nice set.

I do dislike doing it though, I don't do it enough to be fast at it and It takes me several hours per diff. For $125 I'd have someone else do it, if it is only one axle, if I had two to do I'd probably still do it myself (I'm kinda cheap like that).

$125 is a very good deal. keep in mind though, most shops will not offer any warranty for installs using parts brought to them instead of bought through them.

carlton989 said:
my 8.25 was $125 to have my gears installed at a speed shop. I brought them my axle and a pile of parts. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. If I installed them and screwed it up, my problem. If they messed it up, their problem!

Rawbrown said:
x2 PLAY hahaha good luck with that
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Rawbrown said:
$125 is a very good deal. keep in mind though, most shops will not offer any warranty for installs using parts brought to them instead of bought through them.

not too worried about their warranty, they re-gear race cars that can withstand 700 to 800 hp all day long. besides I'd still rather them do it than me. There is just some stuff I won't do to my Jeep and re-gearing is one of them. I wish I had the tools to be able to do it myself, it would be much cheaper.

I've always done my own but I'm a mechanic and a 1985 grad of Nashville Auto Diesel College, I do not work on cars/trucks any more, I wrench locomotives now.

I've done all kinds of diffs over the years but mostly just 8.25's and D-30's here lately for myself. I did a couple of Yoyota diffs last year for a freind that was in a pinch and did not have the money. I do not like setting up diffs for other people now that I do not have shop insurance to protect me in case something stupid happens. I have not had one of my set-ups to fail on me yet, but you never know.

I suggest finding a local mechanic that will let you sit in on some set-ups so you can get a feel for it, setting a diff is as much art as it is mechanical.

My $.02

xjtrailrider said:
I suggest finding a local mechanic that will let you sit in on some set-ups so you can get a feel for it, setting a diff is as much art as it is mechanical.

My $.02
x2

Back