• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Bias Ply Mistake??

TortureTested

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got my 33" MT baja claws mounted up, and they look SWEEEET!! Tho after some driving i finaly understand the difference between the bias and radial tire! Since there allready mounted up, do u guys think its worth the hastle and extra $$ to pull them off, ship em back and order out new radial tires?? OR should i just suck it up and learn to drive with them? I dont drive everyday anyway and i roughly put about 5 to 7000 miles on the jeep a year. I hate these kind of decisions, HELP!!

Bias ply's arent all that bad. Ive found, if the Jeep sits for a few weeks, when I go drive it, there will seem to be flat spots in the tires. After about 15 min of driving, it goes away. On cold mornings, they can be shaky and vibrate some, until they warm up. Thats just what Ive experienced with my bias ply TSL's. Claws, could be a bit different, but probably not much.

Did you go from a stock or near stock tire to the 33" MT baja claws? If so welcome to the world of big fat sloppy sidewall tires.
Slow down a bit and learn to love them. They will grow on you. Besides the radials will not help much. They have even sloppier sidewalls.
Else what presser are you running them at? A few extra PSI many help.

My Claw Radials had stout sidewalls. They pooched out alot less when aired down that my current BFG MTs do. Of course I bet I could go kick a hole in the sidewalls of my BFGs LOL.

I think I remember your tire thread, the downsides of Bias ply was mentioned. If I recall you purchased a tire just off of looks? :D

Not sure what all the negative bias ply talk is about but my 36" Bias Iroks are as smooth as glass on the highway at 75mph...(maybe i'm just lucky, knocking on wood)

If you're going to wheel rocks, etc. keep the bias tires...

Thanks guys, that helped alot. To answer a few questions, i had 30" on there that were real wide, BFG MT's. No i didnt buy them just off of looks, i said that i love the way they look. And last is that i just got them so i will drive them a bit and see if i get used to them or till they settle in a bit. I do travel with my 1 and a 1/2 y.o. son in the car most of the time so to the guy who said safety is #1, thats what im trying to keep in mind! I do wheel her a bit and i love them mud pits and tires like BFG MT's arent enough for me!

33x13.5R15... Sorry for the size...
52wneyu.jpg

My X-terrains (same tire) sucked in mud, they are great on rocks, but at least NC clay/sand mud, they just clogged and spun

ZacSquatch said:
My X-terrains (same tire) sucked in mud, they are great on rocks, but at least NC clay/sand mud, they just clogged and spun

same tire?

Thats like saying "mud king" tires are the same as MT/R's because they have a similar pattern.

x-terriain = procomp crap
baja calw = solid tire

The fact they are both designed on a self cleaning tread pattern is all they have in common.

;)

those look sick nasty man.

TortureTested said:
What about driving on long trips, say 2 hours or more??
make sure they're properly inflated. Bi ply tires generate more heat than a radial counterpart, and running them underinflated makes them hot.
I ran my bias ply TSLs from the camp to the trailhead, 6 miles, at 12 PSI, when we got there I could feel the heat radiating from the tires.

Back