• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok stupid me?????? Where's the keys?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I own a 96 XJ w/ power locks. My 6 year old daughter was helping me do some wrenching. I have the drivers fender off and the front grille assembly well I just found out that when the battery was supposed to be disconnected that the positive had come in contact with the battery. My daughter hit the lock button and the good news is the key's are in the ignition with the doors locked. Can I remove the door hinge bolts and reach in enough to unlock the doors or would I screw up the door?:bawl: :cry:

those doors are not always easy to get lined up straight. If it were me, I would break either the quarter glass or the hatch glass and pick up a new piece at the salvage yard. You should be able to get either piece of glass for $20+/-, and it takes less than 10 minutes to install the glass in either location.

If you go that route tape the glass to be broken well and you should be able to take it out in one piece once it is broken.

Good Luck!

oh how i love breaking glass taking the doors off is a bitch but if u want removeable doors this may be the big man upstairs telling you something you know hes a jeep man :D

How 'bout calling a locksmith or AAA?

On my porsche 944 its easier to remove the 1/4 window then to even pick up the phone for a locksmith. Just found this out yesterday, removed window, opened door and reinstalled window in under 10 minutes first time ever. Like I said I just found this out ysterday at about 6PM, a top of teh line alarm was installed by 10AM this morning!!
Jeremy

You only have one set of keys? If so, yeah.....maybe you can get one of those slimjims and unlock the door that way?

I'd try that before unbolting the hinges or breaking a window.

Rule number 1: Always roll atleast one window down when wrenching on the Jeep!

Rule number 2: Keep a spare key in your wallet!

I learned this the hard way one night when I was messin with somethin on the Jeep in the garage, and for some reason didn't roll my windows down (only had them cracked as I have vent shades on mine). Was done workin around midnight, but it was 4am before I finally got into my Jeep and I had torn the ventshade off (adhesive kind at the time) in the process.

On the 97-01 you can remove the 2 nuts that hold the tail gate hatch clasp to the cargo floor and the tail gate will open. Look underneath the rear of your XJ, between the gas tank and the bumper and see if you find 2 bolts that are directly under the hatch handle.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Rule number 1: Always roll atleast one window down when wrenching on the Jeep!

Rule number 2: Keep a spare key in your wallet!

I learned this the hard way one night when I was messin with somethin on the Jeep in the garage, and for some reason didn't roll my windows down (only had them cracked as I have vent shades on mine). Was done workin around midnight, but it was 4am before I finally got into my Jeep and I had torn the ventshade off (adhesive kind at the time) in the process.

As did I when I found out my alarm/remote starter auto locks the doors once the key is put in the ignition and then hopped out to a friend while he finished a cigarette. I now keep a key in the wallet plus there is a spare key in our furnace room.

On mine you can take off the cap for the latch to the wing window and loosen it. Then walla your in. 85 Xj Laredo

Tim_MN said:
On the 97-01 you can remove the 2 nuts that hold the tail gate hatch clasp to the cargo floor and the tail gate will open. Look underneath the rear of your XJ, between the gas tank and the bumper and see if you find 2 bolts that are directly under the hatch handle.

you can do this on older models as well, works on my '96. it'll get you in without breaking anything.

If the tailgate trick doesn't work out for you. I pry the top door corner out with a taped screwdriver, use a small wood wedge to hold it open a crack and find something long, rigid and thin (my CB antenna works well) to go all the way across the front and push the lock button.
You can sometimes work the window down a little and do it that way, instead of prying on the door. Don't try prying on the window top.
I once showed a couple of cops trying the old coat hanger trick, the fast way.

I'd break the wing window (even if its the fixed kind) since the smallest area of glass is likely the cheapest to replace.

If you have to go through the glass, I'd opt for a rear quarter window, since those are gasketed in rather than glued. If you're careful you can probably push it through without breaking the glass, and just put it back when you're done. The hatch glass on pre-97's might work, but it's hard to push out without damaging the defroster wiring.

First thing I do on any car I own is make sure I have a spare key hidden somewhere. Hide it inside a marker light, brake light or something like that, and all you'll need to get in is a screwdriver if you're at leisure, or a rock if you're under duress.

Like the tailgate nuts under the car idea. That would be my choice. kinda hard to see and not much room, but there should be two of them about 4" apart.

Quite doable.

Otherwise, I'd work on the rear hatch window. There's enuf wiggle room on that one you might be able to get it out without breaking. I'd soak the shit outta it with soapy water to try and "loose up" the seal between glass and rubber and rubber and fiberglass frame. Wiggle it arond a bit and try and get the glass to shift down to lower corner. Start working at opposite corner prying rubber seal out towards you working the inside lip over the fiberglass rim on the hatch. Once you get about 1/2 way acroos or so and it starts to get stff, try shifting the glass diagonally towards the now opened corner. Careful, it may pop out whe you do that, but it should allow you to peel the rest of the way out.

Toughest part will be getting a corner started without someone inside.

Never done it, but suspect you could. I was suprised how loose he fit was when I put my new rear window in.

Might be time to shop for an upgrade at your local junk yard.

Sounds like a good time to chop the top and cage it. Kidding(mostly), just unbolt the hatch nuts already mentioned. It works and you don't have to replace anything.

Do not break the small fixed glass on the back doors!!! You have to buy the whole thing to replace it!

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to look at the wiring diagram for the power door locks open circuit and jumped acroos the orange w/ white trace and the pink w/ purple trace out of the wiring going to the drivers door. Glad to know it has happened before for this info you guys gave me thanks. :read:

Back