• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you think of my bumper?

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
I needed a front recovery point and bumper prices are so high so i decided to make one myself. Iv been planning it for the last year, collecting pictures of bumpers id seen and looked at how other people had done it and came up with this.

I picked up an 8 foot 2x4x3/16 for the bumper and some 3/16 plate for the frame brackets.
First i cut and mounted the plates to the frame.

offroadinslipyokebumper031.jpg

Then to make it simpler i made the middel section first.

offroadinslipyokebumper035.jpg

Then i made the side pecies they have an 8 degree slope back, i also didnt continue the angle to the ends, instead i stoped it about 2 inches back and cut it flat so i can put a hi lift under it. I used a massive grinder my dad had with a cut off wheel.

offroadinslipyokebumper042.jpg

offroadinslipyokebumper037.jpg

Then i took it off, caped the ends, put a reciever in, and solid welded it

offroadinslipyokebumper075.jpg

I eventually want to get a winch and put it in the reciever so i renforced the back with a peice of angle iron and put some gussets in.

offroadinslipyokebumper081.jpg

For the d ring tabs i cut 5/16 plate and welded them to both sides of the mouts then drilled through all of them with a 7/8s bit, that really sucked because i couldnt use the drill press.

offroadinslipyokebumper060.jpg

Then for the mounting points on my jeep i found some pipe that my bolts fit into and drilled the holes out to fit the pipe and welded them in.

offroadinslipyokebumper091.jpg

After that i grinded it all down, cleaned it and painted it. The finished product.

bumper001.jpg

It took me about 1 week workin on it after work and the weekend. The best part was the cost, 37 for steal, 25 for bolts, and 30 for d rings

Looks good. Should be plenty strong enough.

In your second and third photo you can see the bottom of the radiator support hanging down. I trimed mine where it dips down and bolted on a strip of angle iron. This cleaned up the front and added clearance and protection under the bumper. Nice work and ought to be motivation for the rest to buy a welder and grinder. It's time consuming but fun and easy.

Then i made the side pecies they have an 8 degree slope back, i also didnt continue the angle to the ends, instead i stoped it about 2 inches back and cut it flat so i can put a hi lift under it. I used a massive grinder my dad had with a cut off wheel.

offroadinslipyokebumper042.jpg

What did you do about the crossmember there? Hows its white and stickes below the bumper?

You honestly bumped a thread that is two years old to post that?

Sure. The OP not only referred to it in a current thread, but he's quite obviously keeping up with this one.

...but if you want props for trying to flame a guy, I'll admit you were able to read the date very precisely...in the thread I bumped from 2 years ago.

:dunce:

I'm amused by the thread necromancy...

but I do like the bumper! Only thing I see that I really don't like is the way it's attached to the frame, I'd be worried about those tubes tearing out of the unibody rails. If I was going to do something like this I'd probably weld frame stiffeners on to spread the load a bit more; no sense having a nice strong bumper that will fold your frame up the second it hits anything IMO.

really like this bumper, i will pretty much steal how you did this and build mine haha

:yelclap:

Sure. The OP not only referred to it in a current thread, but he's quite obviously keeping up with this one.

...but if you want props for trying to flame a guy, I'll admit you were able to read the date very precisely...in the thread I bumped from 2 years ago.

:dunce:
So you didnt ask him about it in that thread, so you went, searched for this one, and bumped it?

Yes, I want mad props too. It stokes my ego.

Back