• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want to Herculine my 89 XJ

Biglead

NAXJA Forum User
I own an 89 XJ and the gold paint has seen better days. There are no rust spots but when I cut in some hood vents the tape I used to “protect” the paint ended up pulling half the clear coat off. Now it looks like it has the mange. There was also some poor quality body work done by the previous owner and the color is slightly different from the original. Any way, I was thinking of re-painting the whole Jeep but it will only get ruined when I take it off road again. Now I am thinking of painting the whole body with one of the roll on bed liners “Herculiner to be specific because it seems a bit smoother in texture”. My reasoning is if I use a bed liner I won’t have to be so picky about the few dents and scratches before I cover it and the coating would hold up better against brush marks and gravel dings. Before I try this, has anyone else done it? I saw the threads where people rhino lined their bumpers but I haven’t seen any heh “paint jobs” using the stuff. Using a roller in my garage is much more appealing to me than stripping everything and hauling it off to a paint shop.

Go for it! As long as you dont mind the mad max look. Personally i love it, i had a bit of a hard time with herculining my roof, it wanted to clump up and wasnt easy to roll. I think if you take your time with the prep work and have xylene on hand to mix if needed itd look good.

Do it man. I want to do this so damn bad, it's not even funny. I worked with a guy that had his Line-x'd and it looked sweet. I've only seen pictures of XJ done though. I Herc'd my floor though, I seriously love it. Just check the forecast, pick a couple of nice sunny, dry days and do some good prep. Prep is key. Post pics when you do it.

Yeah, I did a little more looking and found a liner company that can color match stock paint colors with their material. They say you can either roll it or spray it. I'll have to call them to see about a price. Of course I don't have the links handy but I will post them tonight. I know price wise herculiner will end up being about $200.00 for the whole Jeep. What ever I end up using I will post pictures of the whole process.

Bad Ash.

Biglead said:
Yeah, I did a little more looking and found a liner company that can color match stock paint colors with their material. They say you can either roll it or spray it. I'll have to call them to see about a price. Of course I don't have the links handy but I will post them tonight. I know price wise herculiner will end up being about $200.00 for the whole Jeep. What ever I end up using I will post pictures of the whole process.

Bad Ash.

Durabak? I've heard good things about that stuff, it's basically industrial grade Herculiner and should do the trick quite nicely.

Back