• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q for those with Jcr 1 ton steering

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is at the shop right now getting the Jcr 1 ton steering put on and they said everything went well but the tie rod hits the track bar bolt when turning to the right? Has this happened to anyone else? I havent gotten a chance to head up and check it out but when I do I will get some pics.

I know that they bend the tie-rod differently if you're going OTK. Perhaps you got the wrong one?
Call JCR, they'll make it right.

I would PM cal on this one.

That's what mine did - had to remove the right side tierod end and using a press (don't use heat as this will cause the metal to possibly become brittle) put a slight bow in the rod end (be sure to not bend at the tapered hole for the drag link rod end or the threaded part of the rod end) to give sufficient clearance at the track bar bolt head, also cut a little off the bolt head and I already had 1 washer as a shim behind the nuts at the steering stops. JCR is aware this happens on a small percentage of XJs, call and talk to Daryl - I think he will tell you to do what I did on mine. Yes it was a bit more trouble but was worth the effort for a really strong steering set up - I've had the front end balanced on a big rock I was working to get over, the only support was the tie rod - it is still as straight as it was when new, really great setup - just takes some extra work on some XJs.

Mike

I've actually seen this on another member's rig out in the field, and it looked as if installing a drop pitman arm would've changed the angle enough to clear things up.

A drop pitman arm will change the angle of the draglink, but will not help the tie-rod hitting the bolt at all.

Same thing happened with mine. I just adjusted the steering stops out a little and shaved a bit off the bolt head. You'll love it once you get that issue resolved. Tweaking the tierod end would work fine as well.

I didnt do the install myself I had a local shop do it. To make a long story short, I didnt want to screw anything up trying to do it myself b/c I leave friday for a long drive to school. They said they are putting in a "rounded head bolt" and Ill see what I can grind off when I get it back. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Its a little different on every vehicle to be honest. The stock torx bolt seems to have the best clearance though. When/if it does happen it's just before full lock.

The easiest solution is to adjust the steering stop a little. While you will lose turning radius (slightly) to the right, we feel the steering tube size is worth that loss.

We have had people put a slight bend in the passenger tie-rod, but it really makes that rod easier to bend.

Back