• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant flush technique?

espenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I’m planning to flush my cooling system and I found a nice web site that described the process:
http://autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/ss/coolant_flush.htm

Will this be a ok way to do it on my 1994 4 L Cherokee with automatic transmission and NP242 transfer case (just listing my cars specification because I have some other questions)?
I have been reading and searching a lot on your excellent forum, and I have learned there is a plug on the engine for coolant taping. Should I also unplug that when draining the coolant fluid, and should the heater be closed so no fluid can get out from it (and should it be closed when I drain the radiator flush substance)?
What is the correct way to get the air out of the system, I have read on Norwegian forums you should start the car in an steep up hill whit the radiator cap of, let it heat up, and top of with coolant fluid as it air itself out? I have read on your site you should park the car in a down hill whit the number 6 cylinder higher then number 1 and open a temperature sensor to let the air out, but how will the air in the heater core get out in this position?

And over to another question:
If I remove the tranny cooler lines (they go thru my radiator for some reason, is that normal?) will there be oil in them, or do the oil drain back to the transmission bottom of it self?

Hope some one can give me some answers since I have no mechanical experience with the Cherokee, and I hope you can understand my lousy English

Best regards
espenXJ

Hello from the U.S.!
The transmission lines should run through the radiator. Do not remove or unhook them as they are a separate line inside the radiator. Just unhook your lower radiator hose at the motor carefully and let the fluid come out. You can just pull it back far enough to let a nice stream come out into a bucket. Reattach and move on with instructions on the "Flush".

Didn't answer all of it, The 94 is not a closed system so getting air out is not as necessary as it will burp out itself (please correct me if I'm wrong out there).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Stand facing the front of the rig, there should be a drain-XXXX on the lower left corner of the rad. It's lefty loosy. I use some solid wire to tie the hoses and wires out of the way. Get a long skinny funnel and some more stiff wire, twist one end onto the funnel and stick it up through the engine compartment and secure it to something convenient, then poke a screw driver thru the grill to turn the drain XXXX. don't forget to loosen your rad cap or the water will take forever to drain. I use a prestone flush T. It takes about two 5 gallon paint buckets from walmart or home depot to catch the coolant and the flush water until it runs essentially clear. Don't forget to recycle the coolant, it's certainly not OK to dump it on the ground and it's usually not OK to dump it down the drain either, check with your locality. You shoudl also throw down a tarp and have some speedy dry ready because it tends to go everywhere and we all know how dogs and cats love the stuff to death.

Oh make sure the rig is pointing downhill enough so the coolant will drain forward in the block. Jack up the rear end if necessary.

Back