• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting rid of abs

kamikaze4x4sj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a few questions, i got a 95 with abs, i have no concerns with getting rid of it. i plan on swapping an 8.8 or stock 44 into it within a month or two cash permitting, would my brakes still work if i just pulled the abs relay and just cut the wires or dissconected them? thanks, Matt

kamikaze4x4sj said:
or lots of :spam:

LMAO true! Your brakes are all manual... Yes they would still work fine without the relay or the wires. The check engine light is and brake light is prolly gunna come on tho.

Is it new school style where it still has a vacuum booster? Or is it like the old ones where the pump is the booster?

If you dont have a vacuum booster, don't pull power from the ABS pump or your brakes wont work for shit. Old school ones had ABS fuse for the control module and ABS power fuse for the pump, and you just removed the control fuse.

On my 98 I pulled all the fuses and relays for the ABS and removed the sensor wires. The brakes just work like standard non-ABS brakes. My 98 had a fuse specifically for the ABS warning light so that solved the irritation of having to look at that all the time (also helped at annual inspection time ;)

My 92's ABS came to me DOA. It does have a vacumm booster and the brakes work just fine. I've been wondering if a non-ABS master cylinder will bolt up to the booster and then just run lines straight to the proportioning valve and skip the pump.

Back