• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shift mode switch?

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
The 87 auto/4.0 /selectatrac/ I just picked up has a switch in the dash for power or comfort, the little light on the switch dosent i,,uminate when put in power mode and I cant really tell any difference in shift patterns, is there a noticable diff or is the switch bad or? any suggestions. It is a AW4 isnt it?
Thanks.

I have a 90 with the same silly little switch. I can’t feel a difference but if you watch the tach, you will see it does shift at a different RPM.

i have this too in my 91, will the power mode cause any effect on gas mileage? i noticed that it does change the shifting points.. i run it on power mode when ever i have my 31" tires on the jeep. (run stock 90% of the time)

I'm thinking it could be that the wiring may not be connected properly since it didn't come with it included. if the LED is not coming on, either the ground on the switch or the 12V source could be bad.

My 96 didn't come with that switch, but i'm installing one anyway to act as the main toggle switch for my AW4 manualmatic controller. Even picked up a stock switch plate to swap in with the tranny symbol. The "Comfort" of not having to worry about shifting, or the "Power" of controlling it myself.

Back