• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm guys ?

xjjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
for all of you that have made your own longarm set ups, what kind of length on the upper arms? (center to center measurment)
and what dia tubing ?

thanks,
scot
THE GOLDEN RULE OF LIFE: if its got TIT'S or TIRE'S you'r gonna have trouble with it.....

Do yourself a favor and make the uppers adjustable using all thread welded into the tube. When it comes time to adjust your camber you will thank yourself.

The size of the allthread will tell you what size tube you will use. Try to shoot for .250 wall thickness.

i don't think you want the uppers to be .250 wall, now my lowers are 2" od with .250 wall, and 1.250 all-thread. i was planning on 1.380 x .095 wall for the uppers, with welded tube ends in both ends.
fb70d59a.jpg

scot

Well you definately need to make the uppers adjustable.I also would recommend at least .120" wall.

What's your reasoning behind the thin uppers? Bigger is always better when it comes to suspension links. Saving weight seems the only benefit to going thin.

SeanP

chromoly ...... did i mention they are chromoly not D.O.M. plus look at all the mfg's that make long arm kits. there uppers are not even close to there lowers in dia. plus how often do you damage an upper link ?

scot

Then why .25" wall on the lowers,that left the rod couplings very thin.My LA's are Chromoly also,I chose .120" wall for that reason!

Also as I mentioned in your other thread , I think you should sleeve that bolt for more weld area!

jj%20end.jpg

sean, big fat heavy wall thickness on upppers is a waste of material IMHO.......I really think anything heavier than .188 is unecessary on a link that cannot be contacted.....only exception i could think is a link that gets side-loaded like a wishobone or something.....

Beezil said:
sean, big fat heavy wall thickness on upppers is a waste of material IMHO.......I really think anything heavier than .188 is unecessary on a link that cannot be contacted.....only exception i could think is a link that gets side-loaded like a wishobone or something.....

BJ, you are saying this to the guy with a Strange 3rd member running 35 spline axle shafts and a front D60. Waste of material is my middle name. :)

SeanP

xjjunkie said:
i don't think you want the uppers to be .250 wall, now my lowers are 2" od with .250 wall, and 1.250 all-thread. i was planning on 1.380 x .095 wall for the uppers, with welded tube ends in both ends.
scot

Why not get some heavy weight DOM tubing & tap it for the allthread? Then you'd have some beef to back up the design.

Sorry,but I barely find time for my own projects!Hopefully today I can finish the gears/ARB in my D44!!!!

Back