• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using bumper as an air tank

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
i know its not rated for pressuse, blah blah blah, just wondering if anyone tried tapping a custom bumper for a fitting and using it to supply air for airlockers? im not trying to hold 300 psi here or run an impact gun, just enough to run a locker. i know back when i used to street race guys would pressurize thier roll cages with NO2 like a secret bottle, and that seemed to work fine, unless you crash :D

I have read of many peolple using the rock rails, bumpers and such as tanks. make sure everything is welded properly, tapped and you shoul dbe good to go. You may want to also think about adding a tap for a drain, to allow moisture build up out now and than.

My buddy has an '85 Toyota p/u with a Smittybuilt front tube bumper that we converted to an air tank, we just welded caps onto the ends and added a couple of weld in threaded bungs for fittings and a drain. It's hooked up to a Thomas (same as the H1 Hummers') 12 volt compressor and sees 150psi with no problems. He uses it to power his front ARB and airing up after trail rides and it has even survived intimate contact with a rock wall (he wheels like a blind man). I would make sure and add a safety blowoff valve just in case........you can get them in different psi ranges.--------Hans

I use my AJ's bumper as an air tank. Don't know how much psi it will hold, never checked. I was running my oba from the a/c comp. until it locked up.:bawl: I drilled & tapped the bumper & used threaded fittings.
HPIM0346.jpg

HPIM0345.jpg

JIM.

Back