• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick and stupid question

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at manual hubs online for my 89 MJ, and I cannot find jack crap.

However, they advertise hubs for the "J-10 Pickup, Commander '74-'91"

does this mean they are lumping the comanche in? I ask because I don't think the j-10 went up to 91

thanks

I don't know when they killed off the J-10/20, but they made F/S Wagoneers until at least '90-'91. Could they be including these models? Like they said above, same as the XJ, so that might broaden your search.

I don't think any of the old full size Jeeps had unit hubs, though. That's why you could get locking hubs for them. Like most traditional 4WD axles, they were full floating with a hollow spindle. I don't know how you'd put locking hubs on any XJ or MJ, since the driven axle shaft holds the bearings together.

what is the motivation for locking hubs? why not just get a cable lock for the front? Does the vaccum lock not work?

purvisdotcom said:
thanks...I think I'm over getting locking hubs from what I've heard so far.

The only way to get manual hubs on your Jeep is to either swap in a Dana 44 front axle, or do the Warn/Milemarker hub conversion. The conversion kit costs about $1000 and an axle swap can be anywhere from $400 - $3400 depending on what is done to it.

Back