• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boosting Braking Power Questions-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Putting disc brakes on a c-clip axle… I know its possible, but is it really a good idea? Has any one here done this? Any tips/ feedback?
My other option is putting smaller wheel cylinders in the rear of my 99 XJ w/ an 8.25 rear end to see if that would help. Has anyone done this? Where did you get your wheel cylinders? Any tips/ feedback?

Im just looking to boost the power in my rear brakes. My front are fine, but the back are really lacking. I mess up my e-brake every time I have to back down anything offroad, and its really sketchy backing down anything steep. I also pull a heavy mid size trailer 60 miles everyday in city traffic, and Ive had 1 too many close calls from other people being dumb asses.

Smaller wheel cylinders will get you more wheel cylinder piston travel but less pressure per square inch of applying force...... I dont think this is the route you want to go.....

Well while pulling the trailer, its a combo of down shifting, e brake, and jumping up and down on the brake pedal if traffic suddenly stops or I get cut off (happens a lot driving slow). + low gears dont help in reverse.

I just need more braking power w/o replacing the axle. I cant afford to loose/replace the 4.56 gears, detroit, shafts, and probably the front axle w. 4.56 and all the wheels.

I already have a big brake booster, but im thinking of finding a bigger one if I can, but its still going to need more.

BakersfieldXJ said:
Putting disc brakes on a c-clip axle… I know its possible, but is it really a good idea?

It's actually a very good idea, and there are many C-clip axles that use discs from the factory....including Jeeps.

Also if you were to break a rear axle shaft, the caliper will help hold it in till you can get to where you can change it.

Just search on here for 8.25 disc conversions, it's been done a lot.

BakersfieldXJ said:
I already have a big brake booster, but im thinking of finding a bigger one if I can, but its still going to need more.

Look into doing the WJ booster/master swap.. Its not so much the booster upgrade as it is the master bore diameter increase. I ran a dual diaphram booster from a 96 jeep on my 90 for a few years and recently swaped over to a WJ set up and big difference. I have Disc brakes all the way around as well..

Ya but the problem is also backing down hill offraod w/ no trailer. Beast doesnt stop backward, its kinda just a point and prey.

Ill look into disc brakes some more. My worry is just how much play the axles have being C-clips. The other disc brake c-clip axles are much tighter to begin with. I helped my friend fab up some dics brakes for a waggy 44, so I have the general no-how.

Back