• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plugged charcoal canister/vapor line?

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Driving home from SierraFest. Level highway, cruising between 2500-3000rpms, exit the highway to fuel up and the Jeep stalls at the bottom of the offramp. Same symptoms as before, whiny fuel pump, sputtering, fuel smell. I was able to get the Jeep into the gas station and when I removed the gas cap a HUGE amount of pressure was released. Filled up and the Jeep started right away and we were off.

About 60 miles or so down the freeway, the sputtering starts again. This time at freeway speeds. Limp off the freeway to a spot in the shade. Loosen gas cap, once again a huge amount of pressure released. I unscrewed the cap some more and the cap blew off and gas erupted out of the filler like a volcano. I quickly screwed the cap on and let things cool down. I also checked under the hood and noticed some wetness around the connection between the hard vent line and rubber vent line that goes into the charcoal canister. Let things cool and was on our way.

Happens again, this time climbing the Grapevine on I-5. This time we called AAA and had the Jeep towed home.

Is it normal for that much pressure to build inside the tank?

Tonight I’m going to check for pinched or crimped vent lines. Anything else to look for? Can the charcoal canisters get clogged?

I visually inspected the vent lines and did not find any kinks. I removed the tank vent line from the canister and blew into it while my wife listened at the filler neck. She could here me blowing through the line into the tank. The fuel cap was replaced when I smogged the Jeep back in October.

Back