• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch engauagement...

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
i just installed a new clutch fan.... on my old fan clutch it would be on for a little and now with the new one i hear it all the time...i mean i like it cause it keeps the radiator cool but is that what its supposed to do?!

well i can always hear it... both... when i start it and when its hot!

n e one?!

To check ur fan clutch have the engine off and when it's cool there should be a little resistance to turn it by hand. When the clutch gets in the upwards of 195 F it should be locked. You may have a faulty clutch.

maybe you bought a heavy duty fan clutch? I just replaced my old rigged up clutch with a heavy duty and I hear it pretty much all the time too. on the plus side you know it's keepin things cool.

jeepfreak84 said:
maybe you bought a heavy duty fan clutch? I just replaced my old rigged up clutch with a heavy duty and I hear it pretty much all the time too. on the plus side you know it's keepin things cool.
ahhhh u kno... come to think of it..... it is....so the fan will always be on?!

If your fan clutch is h/d there is nothing wrong with that, in fact I would find it preferable. With all the fan clutches that go bad so quickly, and those that just don't work correctly, overheating can become common.

The mechanical fan will always "be on", the clutch just keeps it at a certain percentage of the engine speed depending on temp. It's better to be closer to full speed than not moving fast enough, trust me.

sweeeet:D!

well technicaly its always "on" bc its always spinning, its just that a heavy duty clutch will allow less slippage than a standard duty clutch thus the roaring comming from the fan, persoanly I preffer the HD clutches to the standard ones they seem to last a bit longer but are kinda noisy and use up a bit more power. I wouldnt use anything else.
well I just kinda contradicted myself there, I used to have one that I ran a bolt through to lock it worked realy well but sounded like a damn big rig. well there ya go one more alex rant.

jeepfreak84 said:
well technicaly its always "on" bc its always spinning, its just that a heavy duty clutch will allow less slippage than a standard duty clutch thus the roaring comming from the fan, persoanly I preffer the HD clutches to the standard ones they seem to last a bit longer but are kinda noisy and use up a bit more power. I wouldnt use anything else.
well I just kinda contradicted myself there, I used to have one that I ran a bolt through to lock it worked realy well but sounded like a damn big rig. well there ya go one more alex rant.

Yes, this is correct, a more thorough description than I originally gave. The clutch will not "engage" when cold thereby letting the fan blades slip/freewheel instead of being locked onto the pulley and spinning at the pulley speed. With a clutch the blades will never spin at 100% of the pulley speed, but with the heavy duty clutch the clutch engages stronger and possibly at an earlier temperature depending on the model.

The worst feeling is when you look under the hood with the engine on and you can hardly hear the fan spinning, even when you rev the engine. I've had this happen more than once! Which is why I am now in the process of installing a lincoln mark 8 electric fan:D

ah hell i didnt even see i spelt it wrong;)

Back