• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a 31" spare in stock location

UNCC_99XJ

Twisted Up
NAXJA Member
I've searched and read many threads, but didn't find much help.

For those who have done it, how on earth did you mount a 31" spare in the stock location? I need to get this thing up and secure so I can fold the seat down and haul all my crap to college tomorrow. For the last month or so, it's just been wedged b/w the seat, the rear hatch, and resting against my sub box.

Any help is appreciated, and pictures are appreciated even more!

Tim

p.s.: This is a 31x10.50 BFG A/T mounted on a standard Ecco wheel.

Mine fit with no problems. I don't know about 99's though, mine is 1993. The tire had very little tread so maybe that helped????

I mounted my 31/10.5/15 bfg ko on 01 tj rims in the stock location. In stead of putting the mounting pin thru the center of the rim i put it thru 1 of the rim openings at the bottom. I had to lift the tire a bit, but it fits perfect. The rear seat does not latch to easy on the tire side. I have a 97xj. Hope this helps.

libtech said:
I mounted my 31/10.5/15 bfg ko on 01 tj rims in the stock location. In stead of putting the mounting pin thru the center of the rim i put it thru 1 of the rim openings at the bottom. I had to lift the tire a bit, but it fits perfect. The rear seat does not latch to easy on the tire side. I have a 97xj. Hope this helps.

I was considering this idea, but i'm afraid the weight of the tire wouldn't be evenly distributed on the mounting bracket and eventually rip it out of the side panel. But I guess for a temp solution this would work. Did you leave that metal piece that the tire sits on bolted to the floor, or did you take it out?

And my back seat doesn't latch on the drivers side either because of the tire, but thats not a problem....not many people ride back there.

Still open to suggestions :)

I left the mounting bracket there. I did not use the plastic thingy, just the wing nut. I have had it this way for 6 mnths came loose once, I have done plenty of 4x4n with this set up and no problems.

tireside.jpg

tirerear.jpg

tire.jpg

I took the stock threaded metal hook thingy and used a threaded rod coupling (basically a really deep nut) to couple it with a longer piece of threaded rod due to the tire being wider. Left the stock floor bracket in place, this method tightens the tire up against it. Back seat latches no problem. I re-used the factory plactic centering thing and plastic windnut.:lecture:

I purchased a new, longer eye bolt. Then just mounted it like the OEM spare. Very simple...and yes my rear seat does fold up and latch into place. It takes some forcing but is easier when the rear hatch is open. Then just close the hatch and it make for a very tight fit. Also helps to deflate the 31 to a lower pressure.

CIMG6406.jpg

98XJSport said:
tireside.jpg

tirerear.jpg

tire.jpg

I took the stock threaded metal hook thingy and used a threaded rod coupling (basically a really deep nut) to couple it with a longer piece of threaded rod due to the tire being wider. Left the stock floor bracket in place, this method tightens the tire up against it. Back seat latches no problem. I re-used the factory plactic centering thing and plastic windnut.:lecture:

This is EXACTLY what i've been trying to do...even down to the threaded rod and threaded rod couplings. I see that you have yours tilted, where as I was trying to keep mine straight....might have to try tilting it and see how that works.

If you remove the factory floor bracket thing you can get away with less tilt. I didn't want to leave it free hanging as it was designed to hold a much smaller spare, although many have done it with success. Plus I didn't want to have to hold it up to mount it in place.

Ok, now which size threaded rod and coupling did you use? The current bolt in there is a 7/16"-14. I found 7/16"-14 threaded rod ad Lowe's (about 4 feet of it to be exact), but no couplings in that size.

Well, I actually screwed that part up. I went to the hardware store and tried the couplings until I found the right size. If I had been paying attention I would have noticed that it was 7/16"-14 on one end, and 1/2"-14 on the other.:dunce:

Fortunately it was nearly 2" long, with 1" of the correct threading . But they must make one that is straight through the same threading... Or if I had known and used some 1/2" rod and bought a big wingnut.

I've got a 32" BFG MT ko mounted in the stock location. The seat isn't latched on that side, but it's almost there. It's latched on the other side, people don't even notice. If I air it down a bit I can get the seat to latch. Also, the hatch sticks out a bit more on that side than the other, but the gasket still seals it. I'm happy.

Oh, I jsut removed the bottom bracket and flipped the stock bolt over, then wedge it in there nice, bottom first, takes a try or three to get it right, and then get the bolt to go through one of the lug holes in the wheel, and tighten until it doesn't squeek anymore. YOu can punch the tire into place a bit while tightening. Oh yeah, you'll want to have the outside face of the wheel facing towards the window.

98XJSport said:
Well, I actually screwed that part up. I went to the hardware store and tried the couplings until I found the right size. If I had been paying attention I would have noticed that it was 7/16"-14 on one end, and 1/2"-14 on the other.:dunce:

Fortunately it was nearly 2" long, with 1" of the correct threading . But they must make one that is straight through the same threading... Or if I had known and used some 1/2" rod and bought a big wingnut.

I see. I could make it work for now with the stuff I got (the 3/8" threaded rod and 3/8" coupling)....just the damn coupling is too long, so I cant get the plastic piece and the wingnut far enough back on the rod to hold the tire in place.

Ditch the plastic piece, just use the wing nut. If you put the botl through one of the lug holes, it works like a charm.

You could also trim the length of the stock threaded hanger to move the coupling in far enough.

Back