• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle Air Control

TheRifleman

NAXJA Forum User
It has been a more common problem these days, engine idles extremely low and at some points while going slow or even on normal road speeds, the jeep just stalls. It happened on a rather busy road the other night when i noticed my power steering went, so I quickly threw it in nuetral and started the jeep right back up and put it in drive and was driving fine. Even on the trails after a while it kicks in, crawling down the dirt paths and bam, stalls. It is an 1989 XJ with an automatic transmission. The distributor cap was recently replaced and a friend told me the Idle Air Control sensor might be at fault. Are these common simptoms for a bad IAC, random stalling at back road speeds? If so where is the AIC locaded and if it is an easy replacement part.

Thanks for all your help.

-Phil

changed the fuel filter in the last 30k? how about the air filter? both can lead to low RPM and stalls...

When it's idling fine disconnect the IAC and drive around and see if the problems you are having still happen. If they do, you don't need a new IAC and you need to start looking for another cause.

Fuel filter has been changed recently.

Vaccuum lines, specifically the ones running from the vacuum bubble. I reloacated that and I could have pinched a tube somewhere. I'll check it tomorrow.

Sounds more like a classic Renix ground problem and or a dying TPS. The TPS is on the throttle body, drivers side. THe IAC is right next to it, on the left, passenger side. Check out the thread "Renix Files" in this forum, for my six month battle with high, low and cyclic idles with my Renix before I figured out how to play the game.

Game rules:
1) Rule number one, clean all the ground connections.

2) Rule number two. Refer back to rule number one. :doh:

Back