• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front diff temps

ebishop

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know how hot a front differential should run in 2 wheel drive mode. Mine was surprisingly hot to the touch the other day. Also, anyone know good temps for the tranny fluid in the cooler lines. Measured mine they other day and they were about the same, ~140F or so.

Thanks,

Eric

what year jeep. If you have a non disconnect front axle then it will be warm because the axle shafts will be turning the ring and pinion and that will turn the driveshaft. I would think that with the disconnect it might run a little cooler, but not much. If its really hot you might want to check and/or change the gear oil. Im not sure about the trans but 140 doesnt sound horrible?

really, that doesn't sound so bad. Gear oil is highly viscous anyways and is meant to handle extreme heat. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're safe.

I wouldn't worry about 140 at all after a long drive. Hell, the hood of my jeep read 146 this afternoon sitting in the sun not running.

It sound like you just got a new toy and you're measuring everything with it. Don't worry, I did the same thing when I got my IR temp gun.

Actually I was doing a quick check of everything before I take my Jeep and pop-up up to the mountains for a camping trip. Thanks for the replies.

Eric

I have a tranny temp gauge on my 96 trail rig, it normally runs between 130-170 in the summer on the return line(after cooler), the outlet will fluctuate according to load.

I'm running a Hayden 30,000GVW cooler(overkill) and the B&M temp gauge with both sensors on a toggle.

xjtrailrider said:
I have a tranny temp gauge on my 96 trail rig, it normally runs between 130-170 in the summer on the return line(after cooler), the outlet will fluctuate according to load.

I'm running a Hayden 30,000GVW cooler(overkill) and the B&M temp gauge with both sensors on a toggle.
I've had mine get to 210* comming out of the tranny so far just driving in traffic. As long as it dosen't get much higher than that I wouldn't worry. The thermostat on my B&M tranny cooler dosen't even open till 200*

Back