• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cant remove hubs...

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
im in the process of installing an aussie up front in my D30... ive removed the calipers and the bolts bolting the hubs on but the hubs wont come off... what should i do

JeepFreak21 said:
Did you remove the spindle nut?
Billy
you dont need to remove the spindle nut to remove the shaft, it can come out with the hub

You don't HAVE to remove the spindle nut. The hub assembly and shaft will come out as one piece.

The hub may just be rusted in place. Put the hub bolts back in part way, and hit them with a hammer.

-edit- Rob beat me. :)

btfury said:
... so to take out the hub ive gotta remove the cotter pin and spindle nut?
To seperate it from the axle shaft, yes. If you're just trying to get the shaft out of the axle housing, just removing the hub bolts would be fine.

btfury said:
... so to take out the hub ive gotta remove the cotter pin and spindle nut?
No,just go get three bolts about 1/2" longer and screw them in and beat on them with a hammer!

well we're installing a locker, and all i need to do is pull the axle shafts out a little bit... but nothing wil budge... i removed the three hub bolts already

just to reiterate, you don't want to take the hub apart, leave the 36mm nut in place.
If you're going to take a hammer to the three bolts from the backside, make sure you put the socket on them before you wail on them, or you'll mushrom the heads.

BFH is a good friend... or you can go rent a hub/axle puller from advanced auto. it made it really easy. it can also be called a slide hammer.

Rev Den said:
This needs repeating....

IF you use a slide hammer (I would not) make sure you leave the axle hub nut ON.

Rev

If the axle nut is left on, I can't see why this would hurt. Can't be any worse than unscrewing the bolts a few turns and hitting them with a hammer.

rmm727 said:
If the axle nut is left on, I can't see why this would hurt. Can't be any worse than unscrewing the bolts a few turns and hitting them with a hammer.

Correct.

However....hitting the bolts in the backside does not stress that bearing out at all, IMHO it is a much better method.
Whatever blows your hair back.

Rev

If you have a old rotor put it back on and hit it. works great.

Back